[Ravensfort] SCA gate - a puzzle for those who like such things

niklas at cox-internet.com niklas at cox-internet.com
Wed Jul 23 15:28:53 PDT 2003

I'll take a shot at this....(spinning up missles here)

> From: "doug bell" <magnus77840 at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2003/07/22 Tue PM 04:46:51 CDT
> To: ravensfort at ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Ravensfort] SCA gate - a puzzle for those who like such things
>
> For those who like puzzles you can solve this one.
>

> A van with a trailer pulls up to the event.  You are sitting at gate.
>
> These folks have been in the SCA for years but have never been to our
> events.
> The trailer has a horse looking out at you.  The van has the following items
> in it.

> A gentleman who forgot his membership card and thinks it
> expires either last month or next month.

He pays the NMS and signs the waver. He has no membership card or proof of membership so he pays and signes the waiver...period.

> His lady who is a current member with a card.

Pays regular fees, flashing her blue card. It she had a white card she would sign waiver but no NMS charge.

> Their two children ages 8 and 13, one is a member and one is not.

They pay correct amount for their age, parents sign the childs waiver form for them. The one with the membership does not pay NMS, the one that does not, pays the NMS.

> Their 16 year old nephew who isn't a member.

Pays correct amount for age, signs waiver (childs) and pays NMS.

> A dog, ferret, and a parrot in a large cage.

Dog has to have rabies papers (not tags), ferret has to have had rabies shot papers, parrott is ok as is.

> The parents want feast, the kids don't.

Parents pay for feast reg price. They should be cautioned that if the kids wish to eat that they need to pay for it. This is not a family style eating place like "mommas house".

BTW, be sure to check the coggins papers on the horse and direct them to correct parking area for horse, give them the site rules and if we are using them the parking tag. Also, the correct site token/feast token et.al. The welcome them in.

NEXT!>>>>>

> You are to correctly process them through gate.
> The exercise can be timed for added fun.
>
> For an easier level it is Friday afternoon and site is still quiet.
>
> An added challenge: it is Saturday morning and their Majesties and entourage
> are in line behind these folks along with a dozen other people.  Everyone
> in line insists that you process our van and trailer first out of
> politeness.

You can look at this several ways. If you have that many in line and have not yelled for help, do so NOW!!! Especially if one of them are the crown!!

Just hopefully process folks a expediant as possible and keep em moving.

It also depends on the wishes of the Crown. If they want to move to the head of the line, do it. Be sure to call the B&B and Sen that the Crown is there and we will come help handle them.

Acutally we have had incidents almost like this. You take them one at a time and move on.

Niklas