[Ravensfort] SCA gate - a puzzle for those who like such things

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Sat Jul 26 19:53:13 PDT 2003

Good order and process.....a few more comments.......

>In order:
>A gentleman who forgot his membership card and thinks it
>  expires either last month or next month.
>                                                  SMILE
>         Ask if he has a black star addressed to him. Ask him for his Drivers
>License and if He is unable to produce a proof of SCA membership inform him
>of the three dollar surcharge and have him sign an adult waiver.

Hummmmmm, not sure we have to ID them with a DL. Someone that has a current
copy of the new gate procedures book, please check that out. If it is not
required, please do not bother, unless they are giving a check for payment.
Then be sure to get DL# and their DoB.

If he has a Blackstar he can get away with no NMS, but would have to sign
the waiver.

>                                                 SMILE
>Their two children ages 8 and 13, one is a member and one is not.
>                                                  SMILE
>         Ask the child who is a member if they have proof of identification
>and if they are unable to produce one you may have to use your better
>judgment and just place a minor wrist tag on them and note the name of their
>parents on it. As for the nonmember child they are still a minor and not
>required to own a membership to attend events with their parents. Be sure to
>have their parent sign the minor waiver form after it is filled out
>completely and have a wrist band made for the second child.

Here is an interesting note....

IF the site fee is discounted for minors, kids or seniors (yep, there are a
few that do this), then those folks do not have to pay the NMS no matter of
membership status. However, they still have to sign the waiver if they do
not have a blue card.

Note on the waivers and blue cards.....

If someone can not show you a current blue card...they HAVE TO sign the
waiver. This is the rule for events and fighter practices both.

>SMILE
>Their 16 year old nephew who isn't a member.

I missed the nephew part the first time around....That makes things
interesting.

>         Now here is where you may get some negative feed back. The parents
>being in the SCA a while  should be able to produce a Notarized Minor Event
>Waiver form allowing their nephew to attend the event with them. Ask him for
>proof of identification and match it to the NMEW form. If it does not match
>they will not be allowed to bring him on to the site with out his parent or
>legal guardian. If their nephew is a member of their household ( who lives
>with them at home ) they do not need a NMEW form because they are his legal
>guardians and can make decisions concerning his medical needs.

BTW, there are no exceptions to the must have a NMEW form....period. Sorry,
but the Society rules are very clear on this. I guess if the Kingdom Sen or
the Soc Seneschal, or the Crown said it was ok, then it is on their head if
a problem arises. We are not taking those chances.

  note: depending on their age some minors will
>pay different costs. Minors who are 18
>                                          or older who are under 21 living on
>their own or attending collage will have to
>                                          pay the $3.00 surcharge if they
>have no proof of membership. As long as a
>minor is under the legal responsibility of a parent or guardian they do not
>have to                                          pay a nonmember surcharge.
>This also applies to special needs children who
>need constant care and are still under their parents or legal guardians care
>regardless of age.

Age makes not matter on NMS only the status of discount or not on the site
fee. This is per...Clarrissa, Ansteorra Kingdom Seneschal.

>A dog, ferret, and a parrot in a large cage.
>
>              Sounds like a bad joke, Hmm....Well, first the dog: ask the
>owner for a current rabies vaccination form from their veterinarian. If they
>can not produce one they can not have the dog on the site. Tags do not count
>but some may argue with you but the LAW is real clear on that issue. The
>Ferret: Same as the dog. The Parrot: no vaccination record is needed. All
>the animals will need to kept on a leash and not allowed to run or fly free
>on the site.
>
>The trailer has a horse looking out at you.
>
>             The Horse owner will need to produce a Current Negative Cogans
>Test form from their veterinarian  to be allowed on site. If the horse owner
>can not produce one then the horse can not be allowed on site. Again the Law
>is very clear on the transportation of equines with Cogans. If the horse is
>allowed on site it must remain tethered and not allowed to wander freely on
>the site. Horses are not to be left unattended at all.

Someone in another post said that the E-people will handle the Coggins
stuff....not true-totally. The gate needs to see the form...before they are
allowed on site. The horse folks also have to see.

>             Site tokens and feast tokens in hand, Money in our box, all
>forms fill out correctly and completely they should be on their way. Their
>Majesties should be impressed at your ability to move the gate so quickly
>they may even complement you when the leave. At this point contact the
>Autocrat and inform them TRM's are on site.

Please inform the B&B, Autocrats & Seneschal that the Crown is on site the
second they arrive.

One can quickly see now how things have changed in recent time on the
operations of gate form what it use to be of "Just throw open the gates and
let the fun begin". The gate is serious business and get a group in real
trouble if it is screwed up.

We are still in need of someone that is willing to take the job of head
gatekeeper. It needs to be someone that will not have any other duties at
the event. Also, someone that wants a challenge and will listen to help,
rules and policies and be firm when challenged with problems, but polite
and level headed.

A tall order I know, but one can make a name for one self by running a
good, smooth gate.

Any takers???

Niklas

Paul Gilbert,   KE5ZW                   H.E. Niklas Vasilevich,
Huntsville, Texas                       Baron of The Barony Raven's Fort
niklas at pbgilbert.net                    CSM, Crane, ORH, KGA , AoA
936-291-9532 home                               Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-581-5632 cellular                           Society for Creative
Anachronism
                               AIM Name: KE5ZW