[Ravensfort] A list of weird ideas

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Thu May 1 07:53:46 PDT 2003

"Tuath na Ciarraide-Mactire" <tuathamactire at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I compiled a group of weird ideas I have been kicking around to get
>people's opinions on. Apologies in advance if you folks do this stuff >already :-)

I love weird ideas. :)

>1) The development of a group, maybe not a guild per se, but something
>to research, reproduce and demonstrate period games from various
>cultures anderas.

I have been trying to encourge games for a while.  I have a number of
books on period games.  I have a Hnafltafl set, Go set, backgammon,
chess, dice, and period style cards (both tarot and numberless French
deck).  I think this would be a great thing to do during the day (sorry,
I have never been much into watching the fighting) at an event.

>2) Working with local theatrical groups to exchange ideas (they help us
>act in character, we help them with choreography and props and such,
>etc.).

I am sure there are quite a few people to do this.  I have never been
good at it, but you don't have to act much when you are practicing period
arts like weaving and embroidery. :)  I come with props included. ;)

>3) Setting up a period encampment research group (again, maybe not a
>full-sized guild) to look at researching and reproducing period
>encampments from various periods and regions so that Ravensfort folk >can win a lot of those "Best Period Encampment" contests :-)

I have a few books on period shelters... including yurts (my personal goal).
There is an interest (especially from me), even though I really don't like
dragging around as much equipment as I would need to have just as I like.

>4) This one's a weird one, but something I personally would love to be
>involved in: a historical technologies group that researches and
>reproduces tools and machines from many various periods and regions,
>sort of the industrial-version of A&S ;-)

You know, that can really touch a lot of different technologies... including
making implements, looms (ok, the longer you know me, the more you will
see that I have a definite fiber bent), and such... we do have a seige-
engine group that you might like to meet when you get here...

I would like to hear more of your "ideas". :)

Regards,
-Jacinth-