[Ravensfort] Newcomer Guidelines...was...Good Read...

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 02:46:55 PDT 2003

Heilsa Gundy...

Simplest guidelines for those newly come to the Society.

-----------------

To keep from being mistaken for a:

1.Knight: No white or very light colored belts, no gold spurs, no
unadorned gold chains.

1a. Master of Arms: No white baldric = "over the shoulder strap"
(or perhaps even "grey" ones.....*grin*)

2. Squire: no really red belts (this is not a proscription...its
just to keep from answering the question, "So, who is your
Knight?"...50 times)

3. Laurel: No "leafy" circlet on head, necklace with "wreath"
hanging on it, or cloak with "wreath" on it.

4. Apprentice: No really green belt (Same reason as listed
above...replace the word "Knight" with "Laurel".)

5. Pelican: No "pelican" hanging from a necklace nor a red hat
trimmed around the brim with ermine.

6. Protege: No really yellow belt. (Ditto the above...except with
"Pelican" inserted.)

7. No...the folks with the white or red "lace" hanging from their
shoulders are not "sissies"...trust me on this.

8. Nobility/Royalty: No circlet on the head wider than 1/2
inch...nor one that has any "bumpy bits" rising above the top of
the circlet.

9. Titles are earned: In other words newcomers are not "Sir
Laughs-a-lot".

10. Nor is a newcomer "King Arthur" or for that matter "Robin
Hood".

11. **Do** treat everyone with respect and offer a polite
greeting. A "good day my Lord/Lady" goes a long way toward that
good "first impression".

12. Being drunk...lolling on the King's seat...and asking that
nice red-faced fellow with the shiny-pointy hat adorned black
stars to, "Hold my beer bubba...you ain't ever seen nothing like
this...!", is *NOT* a good "first impression".....

13. Even if you, as a newcomer, have Hel's own
hangover...throwing a shoe at the Herald during the "wake up"
camp cry is *not* allowed..............well.....maybe once in a
while...

14. Fangs were not really all that common during the Middle
Ages...

15. "Gothic" actually means A. An ethnic heritage B. A language
C. A style of architecture.....*not*...really cool black clothes
and such...no...*really*.

16. You are *not* a Star Fleet Officer on an "away mission" nor
have you just traveled through the "Stargate after talking
diplomacy with the 'Asgardians'...".

17. Oh...and that bearded fellow over there...yeah the 300
pounder with the axe and wearing the bear skin...he may actually
*be* a berserker... (Feeding the berserker is not a good
idea...he may follow you back to camp and eat *all* of your
food... As well, if he offers you a drink of Mead from his
horn...politely say "thank you" and take only a *small*
sip...even if it tastes wonderful ... If you drink it all...he
will chase you with the axe... Trust me on this...)

18. Peeing in the campfire is not "Medieval"...and the berserker
will chase you with his axe...again.

19. Soaping up in the downpour is not advisable...even though it
was done in Days of Yore... Nowadays only *Balda the
Hornswaggled* is allowed to do this...mainly because we can't
stop him............and he made the axe for the berserker....

20. It's *Seneschal* not "Silly-chal"...

21. "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" is *not* an invitation to
guzzle all the ale in someones camp...nor is it truly proper fare
in the Bardic Circle...

22. And if the newcomer just has to get in armor and fight,
"...cause its all foam and faking"...tell him to hit the old one
legged fighter's remaining leg..."because he can't do anything
while on the ground..."...

23. Watch out for the *wolves*....they tend to eat newcomers...
What? Those are only coyotes...? Dang...they sure seem
clos......*erk*

Well...there you are, "The Complete Newcomer's Guide to Success
and Advancement at Their First Event."

Your good and helpful neighbor...

Kief