[Ravensfort] Forms of Address

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 19:50:07 PDT 2004

This is part of my report for May for the Quoth...but knowing that the USPS is ...funky and ya'll may not get the information before Crown, I was encouraged to send it out on the list so that ya'll may be able to use it for the Event

Lorraine

Since Crown Tournament has been awarded to our fair Barony, I figured that we all needed to brush up on the titles we call people according to their rank....so....here are....

Forms of Address

It is ettiquite to refer to persons according to their highest title but not by multiple titles at once (there are exceptions but I do not want to confuse you with them at this time).  All can be called "m'lord/m'lady" or "Lord/Lady" if you cannot remember anything else...or anyone that has a Coronet (i.e. Brass Hat) may be called "Your Excellency" without problem.  I recommend that you attempt to learn the correct addresses though, because it is part of the "game" we play and even if you do not take part in the spirit of the SCA as a monarchical society....it is just plain courtesy to know the basics of the gasis of the SCA...

Before I start her are a few things you should be aware of in the information I am giving:
I only listed Grant level awards and above (in descending order of rank with the King and Queen as the highest) since those are the ones we are all least familiar with; Coronets are any band of metal worn around the head that is over 1/2 inch in width; all Peerages are the same rank by rule of the SCA By-Laws; and Grants of Arms are all the same rank by ruling of Kingdom Law.

Rank: Royalty - King/Queen
Sign of Rank: Specific Coronets, wearing of the whole Arms (Device) of the Kingdom including the Laurel Wreath and for Her Majesty, a wreath of Roses.
How to address them: Your Majesties, Your Royal Majesties, Your Majesty Miguel,  Your Majesty Conal
How to refer to them: Their Majesties, Her/His Majesty, Their Royal Majesties, His/Her Royal Majesty

Rank: Royalty -Crown Prince/Princess
Sign of Rank: Specific Coronets (they will be the ones that win the Tournament)
How to address them: Your Highness, YOur highnesses, Your Royal Highness...etc
How to refer to them: Their Highnesses, Their Royal Highnesses, His/Her Highness

Rank: Duke/Duchess - these people have been Crown twice
Sign of Rank: Coronet with Three-lobed Leaves sticking up from it
How to address them: Your Grace
How to refer to them: His/Her Grace (insert name), Their Graces
(Ones that might be in attendance : Patrick Michael, Julia, Sigmund, Siglinde, Jonathan, Willow, Rischard and Kein)

Rank: Royalty - Count/Countess - these people have been Crown once (there are many SCA approved variants of this title.. the most used in our Kingdom are Jarl and Graf)
Sign of Rank: Coronet with an embattled top
How to address them: Your Excellency (insert name), etc
(Ones that might be in attendance: Graf Galen, Rebecca Jarl Timothous, Alison, Jarl Gunther, Sarah, Jason, Seraid, Drake, Daffyd, Octavia...etc)

Rank: Landed Nobility - Landed Baron/Baroness (Head of a Barony)
Sign of Rank: Coronet that has flat topped or has 6 to 12 points with or without spheres on them and usually some emblem relating to the group they represent.
How to address them: Your Excellency (Barony Name)

Rank: Peer - Knight - For expertise in the heavy weapons and Peerlike Qualities
Sign of Rank: White Belt and an Unadorned Chain
How to address them: Sir if a man, Sir or Dame if a woman (Britta prefers Sir and so does Cif.) They may alos use some specific titles like "Ritter."

Rank: Peer - Master of Arms - For expertise in the heavy weapons and Peerlike Qualities
Sign of Rank: White Baldric
How to address them: Master

Rank: Peer - Laurel - For expertise in the arts and sciences and Peerlike Qualities
Sign of Rank: Laurel Wreath worn on head, representation of a Laurel Wreath as a medallion or on clothing.
How to address them: Master or Mistress

Rank: Peer - Pelican - For High Kingdom/Society Level service and Peerlike Qualities
Sign of Rank: representation of a Pelican worn as a medallion or on clothing. A Red cap with ermine trim.
How to address them: Master or Mistress

Rank: Nobility - Court Baron/Baroness - Given at the behest of the Crown for whatever it deems.
Sign of Rank: Coronet flat or with 6 to 12 points with or without spheres.
How to address them: Your Excellency

Rank: Grant - White Scarf - for Expertise in the Light Weapons and customs and grace of the cavalier in period.
Sign of Rank: White scarf tied around the arm at the shoulder or above the elbow.
How to address them: Don or Donna

Rank: Grant - Star of Merit - for Kingdom level service
Sign of Rank: Gold ribbon with black edges and a "Black Star," worn around the arm or shin.
How to address them: Honourable Lord/Lady

Rank: Grant - Iris of Merit - for Excellence in one or more arts or sciences
Sign of Rank: Rainbow ribbon worn around the arm or shin
How to address them: Honourable Lord/Lady

Rank: Centurians of the Sable Star - for Leadership and excellence in heavy fighting.
Sign of Rank: Gold ribbon with red edges and a "Black Star" or a red cloak with a gold eagel with a "Black Star" on it's belly.
How to address them: Centurian