[Ravensfort] viking garb

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Fri Feb 6 08:45:25 PST 2004

Cam Battaglia <momma_cammie at yahoo.com>wrote:
>I do have a problem with those who have the knowledge, but do not share it with the offender.  Rather than take the time to speak gently and privately with them, to determine the reasons for their "faux pas", there are some that will just simply begin railing at the offender but never quite fully explain exactly what the problems with the garb are.  Then they are off in a huff, overly concerned about their own sense of outrage ... and never once give a thought to the (usually) poor newbie that they have just torn to shreds.  Yes, I have seen this happen and have objected STRONGLY to the person who did it!

I am sorry for not replying sooner.  Work has taken it's toll, and I have been
reasonably stressed out (enough so, that I couldn't even look at my PC when
I have gotten home).  I have, however, been gratified by the serious thought
put in all of the replies, and I humbly appreciate the civility of all.

Indeed, this is a problem.  It is too bad there isn't such a thing as
"compulsive sensitivity training"! ;)  I don't make apologies for people who
act like this, but I guess I have not seen this particular behaviour in a while.
I once disdained A&S competion because of similar reasons (well, I still do
personally, but that is because I am non-competitive), however from what
I can see, the Laurels have really worked hard on stressing the handing out
of sound advice to competitors... and I think this is trickling down to daily
encounters.  There are, as in all organizations, those that lack tact... all
we can do is respectfully point out their errors, and help them understand
that it is "OK" to be wrong, as long as they are trying.  Our society is not
perfect, that is certain.  When confronted with such a situation, we should
not think "escalate" but show that we are a bigger person than the offender.
I can't think of a single organization I have belong to that did not have a
few such people (not to mention, workplaces, schools, etc.).

Anyone who has been berated in such a manner, they are welcome to come
to me for comfort, as well as if they want a mediator in speaking with the
person in question.

Regards,
-Jacinth-