[Ravensfort] viking garb

Tuath na Ciarraide-Mactire tuathamactire at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:11:26 PST 2004

>From: rachel luce <rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com>
>I'm all for being as hositorically accurate as you can be and doing the
>research is IMHO  a vital part of the SCA. But "approving" garb is going
>too far. Jacinth, please tell me that wasn't from an SCa group! Please!

Many living history organizations and groups (as opposed to re-enactment
societies) have very exacting standards for the equipment and garb that is
worn due to the direct tie-in between living history and archeology. The
purpose of the SCA is, at it's core, to have fun studying history by
re-enacting elements of it. Living history groups, of which I have been and
am a part of various types, are VERY hardcore in the accuracy because their
purpose, at their core, is to research through direct living and hands-on
experience accurate reproductions of historical lives in conjunction with
university archeological studies, digs, etc. I don't know if this was from a
living history group or not, but it sounds like the kind of demanding
standards involved. However, I have known of some SCA households that have
similar standards of required accuracy, so ya never know :-)

Breandán
_________

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam