[Ravensfort] Thoughts on Authenticity

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Fri Feb 6 14:35:18 PST 2004

Jean-Michel,
As always, a good read. :)  I am really starting to enjoy this conversation!!

Jeremy Meaux <j_meaux at yahoo.com> wrote:
>After reading the post that have been written in the
>last few days I'd like to throw in my share of
>opinions. First, the defining minimal effort in the
>SCA is impossible, one the SCA as a whole is to
>widespread of a time frame and allows too much area
>for persona's.

It isn't impossible to figure out the miniumum; the SCA has started this in
Corpora:
II. Events
A. Society Events Defined
The term “Society event” refers to tournaments, feasts, and other activities
whereby participants can display the results of their researches into the
culture and technology of the period in an environment which evokes the
atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages and Renaissance.
It also refers to educational activities involving either one-time classes or
ongoing Society university organizations, and meetings where participants
share skills or discuss the business of the group. All Society events must be
sponsored by branches of the Society, registered with the Seneschal of the
sponsoring branch, publicized at least to the members of that branch, and
conducted according to Society rules.
B. Requirements for Participants at Society events
Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt at
pre-17th century clothing, conforms to the provisions in Corpora, and
complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or waivers) which
may be imposed.  At business meetings and informal classes, the requirement
to wear pre-17th century dress may be waived.  All participants are
expected to behave as ladies and gentlemen.

That isn't much of a requirement, but that is where we begin.  You aren't
required to have a persona, learn crafts, or participate in activities.  You
just have to try to dress the part.  However, where Corpora is silent, there
is Ansteorran Kingdom law:

Article IV: Rights and Duties of the Populace
Section 1: Primary Rights and Duties
A.  The primary right and duty of each Subject of Ansteorra is, by their
presence, participation, research, and interaction, to assist the Kingdom in
recreating the environment of pre-Seventeenth Century culture at activities
and events such as, but not limited to, tournaments, fairs, parties, dances,
classes, et cetera.

And then also:
Section 5 : Maintenance of Period Ambiance
A. No object, conduct, or manner of dress which is blatantly modern shall be
publicly displayed at SCA events unless permission has been obtained from
the autocrat or the Crown.
B. Any person who displays a blatantly modern appearance shall be open to
public censure by the Crown or its representative.
C. Modern equipment such as recorders, vehicles, phones, and cameras must
be hidden whenever possible.

In other words, do your best to maintain the illusion, and try not to ruin it
for anyone else.  That, my friends, is our responsibility.  Corpora and
Kingdom Law are always a good read; I recommend that to every member.

>Two, there are very few sumptury laws
>that say what and who can do something. Even these
>such as coronets and such basically mean nothing. I
>too often see people of low are no rank call peers by
>their name with no regard for who is in hearing
>distance.

Well, I am fine with using titles, but there is a time and place for it.  Maybe
I am interpreting this wrong but an award qualifies the holder to use a title,
bear that order's insignia, and confers rank/precedence; it does not require
the use of a title, but instead implies a demand of honor befitting the rank --
there are many ways to do this besides just a name...  it also is in how you
treat them.  You can use a title in the same way you would an insult.  If the
bearer would rather be called by their first name, then who am I to do otherwise.  You do have a point though; I'll be the first to admit it is hard
for me to remember I am speaking to a Peer when I have known the folks
for almost all my SCA life on a first name (when they didn't even have
a title!!) basis.  Not that it excuses the practice, but in such a case you
should understand the use of familiar names.

Once upon a time, I was taught to curtsey to "hats".  This has fallen
away for the most part... but that doesn't mean we can't reteach this, or
perhaps study how different cultures approached this.  Not every culture
bows...

>They earned the title use it, one way to improve the game.
>Cover your mundanity and move your
>car. If the hosts of an event go to the effort respect
>them in common areas that are for public use, ie. not
>your camp site. Respect peoples camps, in period
>walking in to a camp unannounced could have resulted
>in death, or the very least a beating. Same with
>titles.

We have a common theme... respect.  I know that you are a fine person,
as is every one who has written.  We just need to help the ones who
don't realize the damage they are causing.

>The "stitch Nazi's" for the most part are those with self
>issues and need to vent them on someone else. The
>people that truly love what they are doing will take
>the time to work with you, not against you.

Amen!  The more people who realize this the better.  I really like the way
you put this!!

>So, the SCA as a whole is not
>authentic, but after thirty some odd years, you can
>either change it, or allow the reputation it holds in
>the reenacting community to grow by the attitude that
>" I'll do it my way, why does it matter if its
>authentic, it's the SCA".

By this, I am interpreting that the SCA is not very well thought of by serious
reenactment groups.  You are right, but they have an entirely different focus
than us, so it is not necessary for us to be as strict in our portrayals.  To
me, it is a little embarassing, but then I am a perfectionist; I am always very
critical of my own works.

>Too often we all take short cuts on authenticity. Work
>a little harder and all your efforts will be rewarded.
>Some may not appreciate your effort but only you can
>be the judge on your own life and what you put into
>it.

I love you.  This is a great statement!!  I think I'd like to brocade this on
a belt!!  :D

>Well here it is, flame away, but in my persona I have
>the right to "judicial combat" if I feel offense. So
>if you want to do the persona thing and truly "play
>the game" watch your step.

No flames here... I'm wearing my asbestos corset today. ;)  I bruise kind of
easily, but I might go for some mud-wrassling.... ^_^

Regards,
-Jacinth-