[Ravensfort] A word from the Moderators

Melina K umbraja at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 18:11:54 PDT 2004

It has come to our attention that feelings have been hurt and feathers
ruffled over a recent thread here. Sadly this has all been over a very noble
cause that was simply brought up hastily and not sent through proper
channels then expounded into a bit of a political rant.

We have also caught wind of a secondary, unofficial list started (now shut
down). While we are all free to do whatever we wish here we personally feel
that a secondary list only serves to further split this barony which has had
problems with factionalism since it's founding. We understand the desire for
a free list without rules or topic restrictions as an open forum in which to
discuss life the universe and everything however we also understand that
such rules are necessary to prevent anarchy and similar other problems this
list has had in the past.

But the point of this post is not to condemn any freedoms it is to expound
them.

It seems that some here are of the opinion that "although this is a noble
idea we should stay on topic when posting to the list... Off topics should
go through other means of dispersal, such as private emails." At it's heart
this is a valid argument but no noble idea should be quelled for the petty
interest of 'staying on topic'. So long as we are moderators here any noble
idea, wedding, party, shower, event, ect. announcement shall be welcome and
recieved graciously. If this proves too much for some of you to handle we
may institute a subject tag system in which off topic posts are duely marked
and replies are limited but for now off topic announcements of this sort are
welcome.

In this specific case much of the problem seems to arise from
miscomunication. So we would like to ask all of you to please think before
you post. Posting without thinking has caused major problems with this list
in the past and we would like to avoid it in the future. Please think about
your word choice and make sure your true meaning gets through in the post.
This is good practice of any writing and if it's not your strong suit feel
free to find an editor (if you are drunk, tired or sick especially). Also
think about the relevance of your post and the audience to which you are
sending it as well as your motives. If you are posting out of spite, anger,
malice or any other generally negative emotion it would probably be best to
not send that post to the list. While we are all entitled to our opinions it
seems many of us here have fairly sensitive emotions, keep that in mind when
you post. Also keep in mind when you read that some of us here are just
highly opinionated and prone to critiquing everything we know anything about
and it's more than likely not a personal attack. It is also not my intention
to censure anyone here, in fact we encourage you to express your opinions,
ideas, and personal critiques but in the case of off topic discussions said
opinions should be kept at a minimum so as to avoid the digressions into
which noble causes often get lost.

In interests of keeping order we have put forth three simple rules for the
list. Remember these when posting.

Three Basic Rules:

	1. The moderators word is law and we reserve rights to suspend membership
on sheer caprice, especially if any of the following rules are broken.

	2. Think Before you Post! When posting and reading keep in mind the
feelings, rights, temperaments and opinions of others as well as your own
mindset and nature of your post. Make sure you have approval where needed
and absolutely No profanity, inflammatory comments, or derogatory posts.

	3. Try to keep basically on topic. Off topic posts should be announcements
and replies to them should be kept relevant to the post, to a minimum and/or
sent privately to the poster.

A further explanation of list rules may soon follow if we continue to have
problems here.

As proper channels were mentioned at the opening of this post and as it
seems to be needed we will now give you an explanation of what that means.

Like it or not the SCA is not a democracy and there is a hierarchy of
command known as 'proper channels' to go through before issues reach the
general populace in any sort of official format. The hierarchy is not in
place to quell freedoms but to keep order and make sure things run smoothly.
Challenges, projects and other such SCA official activities should be passed
through this hierarchy before making their way to the list. This does not
mean that ideas for activities cannot be discussed on the list, it just
means that getting official approval first is suggested. And by suggested I
mean that it will greatly help your cause when it has to come up before said
hierarchy for final approval (it's also polite).

For those that don't know the baronial hierarchy is as follows: B&B,
Seneschal, Reeve, Hospitaller, Knight Marshall, Rapier Marshall, Chronicler,
Minister of Arts and Sciences, Minister of Children  ect. In issues
involving the list the moderators are at the top of that hierarchy, and only
in issues involving the list. This baronial hierarchy is in itself a part of
a higher hierarchy, commonly known as the Kingdom Officers, which is
reserved for kingdom business and it in turn is a part of the greater
Corpora. As far as baronial business goes however the baronial hierarchy is
the proper channel. As a good rule of thumb as for who to get approval from
start with the officer of greatest relevance. This means that A&S projects
would go to the A&S minister, newcomers events to the Hospitaller,
children's events to the minister of children ect. Baronial wide events
would go through the B&B and Seneschal. If in doubt default to the B&B or
Seneschal.

If you need contact information for the officers check the Quoth or baronial
webpage online at: http://www.ravensfort.org/

Or just ask on the list.

The Moderators,
    Melina and Ldy Clarissima di Niccolucci