[Ravensfort] Helping our soldiers overseas

Jan Aarons loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 07:29:50 PDT 2004

To the Wonderful Barony of Ravensfort,

We received a challenge to help our men and women fighting overseas by sending care packages. I wish to meet this challenge. I have picked the 1st Cavalry Division of the Army which consist of approximately 15 men and 5 women. They are in need of personal hygiene items and food stuff. I will list a partial list of items but if you can think of anything else to add to the list please let me know. Most of these young men and women wish for items other than candy. They mostly receive candy but really wish for food other than candy. They do still wish to receive candy but more real food. They also wish to receive letters and pictures as well. I thought maybe anyone who would like to write could perhaps tell them a little about the SCA and perhaps enclose a picture of yourself in garb. It would definitely give them a story to tell and pictures to show while telling the story about their pen pal. Also, it cost approximately $70 to send a 25lb. package overseas so I! would like to suggest a
 "Save a Penny drive". Collect as many pennies as you can and bring them to Populace or Fighter practice with you. I will start collecting items and pennies at Populace in August and at fighter practice on August 8th. If you have a donation and would like to get it to me sooner than that you may leave it with Lord Malcolm and he will see that I get it or just email me and we will arrange something.

In Service to the Barony and the Dream and the Support of Our Loved Ones Overseas, Love of Halesworth

List of needed items:

Calling cards (AT&T are the best they will give soldiers calling home 1 for 1 minute rates)
Cookies
Crackers
Snack Cakes
Tooth brushes
Tooth Paste
Baby wipes
Soap
Kool-Aid
Coffee
Coffee Creamer
Coffee Filters
Candy (Not chocolate due to heat, hard candy like Jolly Ranchers or Suckers)
Gum
Books (paperback please)
DVD's
Power converters (To convert 110 to 220) Almost everything their is 220
Electronic games
Water guns
Water Balloons (Keep in mind it is an average of 115 degrees during the day there)
Board games
Tuna (in the pouches or cans)
Pop corn (unbuttered type due to heat)
Sardines
Canned meat
Magazines
Instant Gatorade
Cd's
Ramen Noodles
Socks (white)
Under ware
Under shirts (Brown)
Pasta
Hair trimmers
Sun Flower Seeds
Chips
Pop Tarts
AA Batteries
Beef Jerky
Washing powders (not liquid please, small boxes or tablets)
Fabric softener sheets
Dry cereal
Tortillas
Energy Bars
Pens
Paper
Envelops
Wrap around Safety Sunglasses
Small stuffed animals or Bennie babies (These can be toted easily by the soldiers and do not have to be new, if you have some around the house and would like to get rid of them now is your chance)
Canned Nuts
Can openers
Canned fruit
Band-aids
combs
nail clippers
eye drops
lip balm
hand lotion
deodorant
body wash
Razors
Motrin
Tylenol
Zip-lock bags (small and large)
And food items that can be microwaved and require no refrigeration
Small flashlights (black or dark green AA battery type)
Handheld battery operated fans
Q-tips
Flip-flops (plastic sandals)
Baby powder