[Ravensfort] A&S Classes

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 21:15:10 PDT 2004

I understand about not knowing what to call it...there are so many different ways to say something....but equivalent terms don't always convey the same meanings...

Not all A&S "activites" are "classes" (classes are on a single topic and are structured with one or more persons teaching)..some others are:
Guilds - (a "structured" thing with a named guild principal) sometimes working on specific projects sometimes presenting classes related to the guild subject.(we have Armours Guild and Scribes Guild that are active)
Solars - usually sponsored by one person consitstantly (i.e. Jacinth's Solar, held for several years when Jacinth lived in the Woodlands) styled after the "ladies solar" where the ladies of the manner/castle/etc would sit and work on various items
Craft Night - like a solar but with fewer "gender" connotations (one group called it "Everything Night")
Research Night - where people bring research materials or learn/teach about how to research in general or on a specific subject...or go to the library...
Demonstrations - like a class but gives an actual demonstration of a procedure
Discussion Groups/Round Table - a bunch of people getting together to discuss a single topic, sometimes with a speaker or someone introducing the basics of the topic of discussion (HE Kezia has held these for a several months on various topics)
Medieval Movie Nights - where people watch movies about period times...and critique them for accuracy.
You can get more specific like "Fiber Night" or even just generally use "A&S Night."

I would suggest that you call the food night..."Raven's Fort Recipe Testing"..."Cooks Night" or something similar since it isn't a really class but a get together to test and talk about period cooking.

?Question? I am confused about what you are trying to do...are you trying to have a "cooks night"  once a month for at least 3 months...or do you want to set up a general "A&S Night" and discuss period cooking the first month and other subjects the other months?

Actually...I still would love to learn knitting from Jacinth...but I need to figure out dates that I am available to learn...

Some classes that have been taught in our group -
Brian  - leather working (pouches, etc), Armour making
Jean Michele - knife making
Mary Axefoot - bath salts
Clarissima/Lochlan - simple cheese making
Kezia/Niklas/Kief - Court ettiquite
Chrystal - various illumination techniques
Lorraine - Mongol clothes, Viking clothes, simple heraldry
Chrystal/Ayla - Stained Glass
Piroska - simple weaving

For over a year, once every 3 months, HE Kezia arranged for someone to do a class as the second part of Populace Social...to me this seemed to work out well...

Lorraine

Jan Aarons <loveofhalesworth at yahoo.com> wrote:
We can do that too! It really isn't a class but I had to have a name for it. Basically it is a get together to try out recipes and share recipes and even a taste testing. Prehaps even a feast menu planning and sample menu's be worked up. I have alot of idea's but really need to get the class going to see how many will be interested first and what each person would like to get out of the meetings. And if we are lucky enough perhaps we can get Lady Clarissima and HL Jacinth to come out and share some of there knowledge with us in one of our future classes. I hope to make this a regular class at least for 3 months to see what kind of response we have. If it doesn't work out then we can always try a new different class. Thank you for your suggestions.

In Service, Love