[Ravensfort] OT - In the spirit of Greeness Day

Gróa groa at houston.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 20:39:04 PST 2004

So my lovely husband, Snorri, realized at 10pm on Sunday night that he needed to take something to work on Monday for their monthly potluck lunch/dinner.  And since this is March the potluck had an Irish theme.  Now to most folks this would denote something with a shamrock or something green.  To my husband, the authenticity nazi (I love you honey*grin*), this means an actual Irish recipe.  So without further ado, I give you...

Steak & Guinness Pie

1kg. round steak
1Tbs. flour
1tsp. brown sugar
1Tbs. raisins (optional)
5 whole onions
300ml Guinness Draught
8 slices bacon
3 oz. lard (margarine or butter can be substituted)
chopped parsley
pie crust

1> Cut steak into bite-sized cubes.  Cut bacon into small pieces.  Roll steak in seasoned flour & brown in lard (margarine/butter) with bacon.
2> Place meat into a casserole dish.  Peel & chop the onions & soften them in butter.  Add onions to casserole dish.
3> Add raisins (if desired), brown sugar & Guinness.  Cover tightly and let simmer over a low heat on the stove or in a medium oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Add water or more Guinness if gravy becomes too thick.
4> While that simmers, line a deep pie dish with pie crust & bake blind.  Add Guinness/meat mixture and cover with top crust.  Bake in medium oven until done (about 20 more minutes).

I have yet to hear a complaint about "beer pie" as they have dubbed it at Snorri's work.  But they did make each other take a field sobriety test before they could go back to work *giggle*.  Enjoy!

*hugs*
Groa
(the Snorri wrangler)