[Ravensfort] A & S Report

Mirabelis mirabelis at johnthekiwi.com
Wed May 5 09:26:49 PDT 2004

Greetings!  Ok I have gotten into more A&S than I think with this whole
Persian tent thing.  I have been trying to get some embroidery done for
a dress I'm making, the embroidery is taking forever!  So to give my
mind something else to work on I've been trying to have period foods,
and I'm sure that's got to be an A&S thing.  We had homemade baklava
from Lord Segird, and we had stuffed grape leaves by Mistress Dominique,
but I think the bit I liked the most was my bit ;)  I made some
Sekanjabin, what is that you say?  Well it's a Persian Mint tea, I got
the info from Stefan's files and made up some tea at the event.  I
forgot to dilute it down with water and what I actually had was the
syrup that is used for the tea.  So, now I'm on a mission to make syrup
and bottle it so that it can be used in the future, just diluted down.
this can also be drunk hot or cold, so I'm pretty excited about that.
now its on to getting some bottles and figuring out how to bottle the
syrup...good think I have Segird as a neighbor he is invaluable!

The other thing I was working on was Turkish coffee.  Apart from having
the proper serving pots I have no idea how to do Turkish coffee, but
again thanks to Stefan's files :-)

And I don't drink coffee!  So it was pretty difficult to get a taste
test.  I have found that the Persians used lots and lots and lots of
sugar, so it was hard for my Kiwi to tell me how the coffee was because
he doesn't like his with sugar, so here we go..I'm an on a mission to
perfect the Turkish coffee.  If you are a coffee drinker and you see me
cooking some up, come by and tell me what you think :-)  theres a whole
element of boiling the coffee at the right temp to make sure it doesn't
burn and you get froth.I was frothless until the last batch.  Some turks
believe that it is an insult to not have froth with your coffee.so, come
by for some froth!  We are also learning a bit about tasseography.what
is that you say?  It's the art, if you can call it that, of reading tea
leaves and coffee grounds.  Let me tell ya, there is plenty of grounds
in Turkish coffee :-)  what does your future hold for you?

I also made some figs in syrup.  Lol, I don't really like figs either,
but I was told the figs in syrup was delightful.  I'm on a mission to
find figs and can them, I've never canned anything before!! And a search
for walnuts and their hulls!  So if anyone has a fig tree or a walnut
tree lurking about I'd be interested in their fruits!  The whole tent
thing has opened up a huge avenue for my persona and I love it!  Theres
no end to the things you can learn!

So, if you see the Persian tent at another event, it will be a huge act
of god!  Lol, we know for sure we will be at all the RF events, so come
by and taste test my coffee, if you dare ;)

Cheers!
Mirabelis

www.kindled-spirits.com

www.johnthekiwi.com