[Ravensfort] List Process Concerns...was...Crown Tourney

Melina K umbraja at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:19:04 PST 2005

Hiya ^____^

>Then...if there is a problem with the subscription process...we need to
>change the way the subscription process is done.
>
>Let's make the process the same as any other list on the Ansteorran Server.

I think it is the same as most other lists. Correct me if I'm wrong and
please give me suggestions on how to make the process work better. I think
it sucks too but this is the best I can come up with for now.

>Let us also add some Moderators to make the process easier. I respectfully
>and *officially* suggest no less than three nor more than five Moderators
>that operate by **consensus** on all concerns.

Official request noted but we've had a board of mods before, one that
"operate[d] by **consensus** on all concerns." There was a lot of talking,
planning, and consideration but when it came right down to it we got nothing
done. When we finally did get around to doing things The One Who Shall Not
Be Nammed scared the other two away with threats of lawyers. Hopefully that
sort of thing is behind us now but that doesn't change the fact that a board
of mods that "operate by **consensus** on all concerns" will only slow
things down, rather than speed things up.

Example: Subscription Process

Right now I make the decision who can and can not subscribe. Usually that
whole process takes about 5 seconds after I read the request (getting the
request is the problem). With a board I would have to contact and get
replies from all the board which could take anywhere between an hour to 2
weeks. If there is any disagreement among the board that process could drag
on for months (as it did).

Example 2: Punishment and Rules

Right now I make the rules and decide how to punish those that break them.
With a board we would all have to get together and agree on these things.
While that sounds like a good idea it's kind of like Communism in practice,
works on paper just not in real life. When we had a board we never made
rules for the list. Not because we didn't feel we needed them, but because
we could never agree on what they should be. Even when it was just Carla and
I it was the same thing. Whenever we had an offender of the rules we would
have to wait for the others' reactions before we could officially do
anything. Whenever official action was taken it was more often than not one
of us (usually me) working on our own without the other(s).

I would prefer not to have a board of mods that "operate by **consensus** on
all concerns." Multiple independent mods with some sort of head mod I'd be
ok with if you really think we need it. Otherwise I agree with Gregor that
"changing the number of moderators on the list is creating an unnecessary
bureaucracy."

If, however, the People decide that they want that bureaucracy I will let
them have it.

I try to be fair in my judgment and give the people what they need and want.
Doing this I don't think that I've ruffled too many feathers with what I've
done though I may be wrong. If you have problems with anything I do or have
done, no matter what it is, just e-mail me and I'll listen to you. Who
knows, you might even change my mind on something and get me to undo
whatever it is I did.

This goes for everyone, no matter who you are. I don’t give special favors
to anyone here so you’re opinions and concerns are just as important to me
as Kief’s or even the King’s.

>I also respectfully and *officially* request that the Archives be closed to
>all except list members.

I don't know about this one. I can see your reason for saying this however I
also see the other side. Our archives shouldn't be something we hide away as
if we're ashamed, though I can see how some of us would be ashamed of them.

I'll have to think about this one.

In the mean time I ask the list members to do the same and, please, give
your opinion on all the above matters.

-Mel (Mod)