[Ravensfort] THE MEDIEVAL TWENTIETH CENTURY

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:18:59 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1048.htm

In the SCA we tend to chop off everything "medieval" or "Renaissance" at 1600 AD.  It's the accepted "drop dead date" for our activities.  However, technologies don't change at the whim of a date and those that had accumulated "in period" did continue in daily application right on up to the 20th century.  Waterwheels, clocks, carpentry methods, weaving, farming, and, well, essentially the whole gambit of medieval "know how" stayed intact (in the US) up until just about a 75-100 years ago.  In fact, I remember my grandpa pushing a mule and plow as recent as the 1970's and that's about as medieval a technology as you can get.

At any rate, today's script is sort of a slant on medieval technology that you may not have considered.

take a listen,
dsd