[Ravensfort] DÜRER'S ROMAN LETTERS

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Mon Apr 11 11:45:03 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1982.htm

I'm intrigued by little things.  Things, objects, thoughts, and ideas you would think have no connection, when chased to their root, often have a surprising source.  For instance, Times Roman, the font.  You might well think, the Romans did that, and they did, but recall, that all Roman letters were in 'upper' case.  The idea of 'case' (upper and lower characters) was introduced with the Carolingian alphabet and the court of Charlemagne.  Still, how do we get from "Caroline Minuscules" to a Twentieth Century print font?  Easy!  By way of the Renaissance.....  and Albrecht Dürer.  Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the web page for a side by side comparison of the fonts.  Like I said a few days back, technology doesn't change at the whim of a date.  And now we find, a intruguing little thing, plucked straight out of period, alive and well amongst us....take a listen,regards,dsd