[Ravensfort] The Elizabethans

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue Apr 19 06:34:54 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1175.htm

I've been thinking on the notion 'end of period'.  Previously I hadmentioned the widespread use of firearms as one reason for "Us" selecting1600 as the end, but there were several other happenings afoot that would lead one to use it as a convenient cut off.  One appears to be the death of Elizabeth I in 1603.  Why?  End of the Tudor lineage and beginning of the Stewarts.  Remember the Stewarts were of the Scottish monarchy.  The Tudor were of Welsh (Twdwr) origin.  At Elizabeth's death the monarchy passed to James VI of Scotland who took the title James I of England.  (And you wonder why we can't keep their names straight.... :)
At any rate today's topic hits on several happenings just at the close of SCA 'period'.

Take a listen,

regards,
dsd