[Ravensfort] THE MEDIEVAL TWENTIETH CENTURY

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Thu Apr 14 14:26:14 PDT 2005

I mentioned the "horse-drawn hoe" yesterday but forgot to mention its
inventor which may come as a surprise to some of you.  Wannna guess?  He's
the original rock and roll farmer.....  :)  The link is below...

Best I can ascertain this particular 'hoe' was more like a three pronged
rake used for weeding.  Similar rakes are still in use today.  The link
better defines his "hoe" invention date at closer to 100 years post period.
Still this was one of the first major agricultural improvements after period
times.

Also ran across a reference to the first "commercially successful" iron
plough.  It was the Rotherham phough, Joseph Flojambe, 1730.....  130 years
post period.

http://www.berkshirehistory.com/bios/jtull.html

also a pic of an in period "heavy plough".  This guy would have been all
wood with a metal blade.  I think it was called a 'coulter' or simply, a
'knife'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ploughmen_Fac_simile_of_a_Miniature_in_a_very_ancient_Anglo_Saxon_Manuscript_published_by_Shaw_with_legend_God_Spede_ye_Plough_and_send_us_Korne_enow.png

regards,
dsd