[Ravensfort] Writing Award Recommendations...

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 17:02:43 PDT 2005

We have many new people...so I thought that it would be a good idea for me
to explain what to put in an Award Recommendation...

Be aware that TRM Jason and Saereid have stated that they will read and weigh each recommendation
thoroughly.

Be persuasive, you are writing this recommendation to convince Their Royal Majesties and Kief and
I  to bestow the award. It is best to include as much information as possible. You do not need to
have all the information (others may cover what you've missed) but include as much of the
following information as possible.

Include:

For all Awards:

Their SCA Name (and nicknames)
Their Modern Name
Their Branch
Whether they are a member

Your SCA Name
Your Modern Name
Your Branch

For Service Awards:

-Offices held - approximated dates, and how they performed in office.
(an SCA based assessment of officers can be found at
http://sandradodd.com/ideas/officer1.html )
-Activities participated in that benefited the SCA - did they work on the site, serve feast,
done portapoty patrol, help with children's activities...etc - include date/s and/or event
-Activities organized that benefited the SCA - include date/s and event/s
Give as much detail as possible

For Arts Awards:

-Skill level
-Level of Research
-Items Made
-Contests entered (and result)
-Displays/Demonstrations done
-Classes/individuals taught
-Describe How the person benefitted the SCA with their art.

Regarding The Awards:

You may recommend anyone for any award, but it is the decision of the Crown on
who they will bestow them upon. If you have any question about what award to
recommend someone for...I am willing to help you figure it out...and help you
figure out the best way to present your evidence to the Crown.

There are 3 Raven's Fort Awards/Orders:

the Feather of Honour - non-armigous local service award (locally decided award)
the Order of the Talon - fighting order (locally decided award)
the Order of the Raven - Armigous service order

SCA wide Awards/Orders:

AoA (Award of Arms)- the most basic but most important award of the SCA - given for service to the
SCA local or kingdom

Pelican - Peerage level - long term service to the SCA, and many other qualities, decided by the
Crown upon consultation with the order.
Knight - Peerage level - skill at Chivalric fighting, and many other qualities, decided by the
Crown upon consultation with the order.
Laurel - Peerage level - excellence in the Arts, and many other qualities, decided by the Crown
upon consultation with the order.

Most Ansteorran Awards are listed here:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/jessa/anst.html

******Send all award recommendations for Defender of the Fort by August 31, 2005 to