[Ravensfort] NESAT VII

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Wed Jul 27 07:10:39 PDT 2005

Greetings,
If you don't know what NESAT is, reading farther might not get you excited...

I just got my copy of NESAT VII, and it will be available for perusal at
String Night.

For the curious... NESAT is the North-European Symposium for
Archaelological Textiles.  Basically the books are collections of papers from
the symposia.  Lots of good historical stuff ranging from historical finds and
reconstruction, to social studies of textile-related subjects.

A few highlights:

What Makes a Viking Sail?
The Human Development of Different Fleece-Types in Sheep and Its
           Association with the Development of Textile Crafts
Textile Production at Brika:  Household Needs or Organized Workshops?
Dress and Fashion in Denmark's Viking Age
Gold Textiles from a Roman Burial at Munigua
Textiles of Seafaring: an Introduction to an Interdisciplinary Research Project
Textiles for Transport
A Preliminary Classification of Shapes of Loomweights
Who Produced the Textiles?  Changing Gender Roles in Late Saxon Textile
           Production:  the Archaeological and Documentary Evidence

There's more, but that is a pretty good sampling.

Regards,
-Jacinth-