[Ravensfort] Five-Fold Symmetry

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 15:34:05 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1243.htm

I just finished reading a very interesting book.  'The Golden Ration: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishinging Number'.  In it the author talks at great length about stars and pentagrams and the mathematical ratio which governs construction of the 'perfect' star.

Although the book is steeped in the history and mystery surrounding man's discovery and use of PHI, or the 'Golden Ratio', it's not widely known that it is natural selection's number or choice. More precisely ratio, of choice.  It is perfectly predictable across the board in so many of nature's gifts as to be nothing short of astounding. It shows up in everything from plant structures to sea shells to, spiral galaxies, and, you guessed it, human bilateral symmetry.  Remember Da Vinci's, The Vitruvian Man?  PHI is the secret equation behind it.

The 'Engine's' episode never mentions it, but obliquely he and the book's author, Mario Livio, are talking about the same thing.

So, why choose it as a topic?  Simple, heraldry.  "...a star of five greater and five lesser points..."  Our Kingdom's insignia is the Golden Ratio, manifest.  Makes you kinda proud, doesn't it?

regards,

dsd

more info:

http://www.vashti.net/mceinc/golden.htm