[Ravensfort] Word from the Mod (was: Lady Love and the volunteer question)

Melina K umbraja at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:49:02 PDT 2005

I have to start by apologizing for not speaking sooner. I have been very
busy as of late and this list has been well behaved so I haven't been
watching it as closely as I should.

However...

I now find the list a bit unsettled. For the most part it seems to have died
down now but that doesn't change the fact that there was misbehaving. To be
specific, Lorraine was a bit quippy, Love was sensitive and Jeremy stuck his
nose where it would better not have been.

I would like to make examples of these offenses so as to avoid future
tensions.

These are examples of what NOT to post.

http://www.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ravensfort/2005-June/008880.html

Lorraine,

This is rife with what could be construed as sarcasm as well as
misinformation. While this was most likely unintentional it was still
offensive to the party in question. Learn from this and take into
consideration the feelings and temperments of those you address when posting
to this (or any other) list. If you are not on close terms with someone be
careful what you post to them, they might not know your humor and can not
hear your tone to know if you are being sincere or sarcastic. I am giving
you an oficial warning. More problems like this could result in moderation,
Vicaress or not.

http://www.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ravensfort/2005-June/008881.html

Love,

"Lorriane I want to know what is it about me that you hate so much?" This
line in particular is what we don't want to see on the list. While I
understand your desire to defend yourself and clarify matters to the
populace as a whole you could have done without the last part. The wording
of the first part is also a bit inflamitory. Please learn from this and try
not to be so easily offended. Many people in this barony use sarcasm and
seemingly harsh words in casual conversation. To them it is more a sign of
comfort and affection than any disrespect. Keep this in mind next time you
find yourself offended and try to give them the benifit of the doubt. Keep a
cool head and in matters such as this address the populace as a whole for
your clarification then confront the offending party in Private. I am also
giving you an official warning. More problems such as this could result in
moderation.

Thank you for replying to Jeremy's post privately, though you really don't
have to post that you did.

http://www.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ravensfort/2005-June/008909.html

Jeremy,

This is borderline slander and completely uncalled for. If you feel strongly
about something such as this your best course of action is not to confront
the person on this list. It only serves to raise tensions and make you look
bad. In the future contact the person privately and if you can absolutely
not help but make a post to the list, make a general post that doen't target
any one person only griping about such behavior you find offensive. I
garuntee there are few crimes only one person is guilty of and perhaps it
would reach more people that way. I am giving you an official warning as
well. More posts like this WILL result in moderation.

This goes for Everybody.

This list is not a place to vent your fustrations, call people out, or
slander members of the barony reguardless of how strongly you feel. This
list is a place to post announcements, congratulations, plans, upcomming
events and other such nice, happy stuff. We've been doing well for the most
part. Let's learn from this and keep it up.

This tread is now closed (along with the offending thread that brought this
up). Any public replies could result in moderation. If you have any
questions, comments, gripes or flames to make on the subject contact the
person in Private. My e-mail is umbraja at hotmail.com (or stdmkg18 at shsu.edu
but only send stuff there if it's time sensitive).

-Mel