[Ravensfort] AN ARMOR OF COMMENTARY

David Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue May 17 09:45:23 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1039.htm

This episode kind of splits itself into a couple of areas of interest.
First, scribal artisans may find interest because we look at the 'other'
side of period "scribblery".  SCA scrolls focus on illumination and
calligraphy, for the most part, with 'rote', or fairly rigid text.  This
episode focuses on the words, the content, and the format typically used
in page layout during medieval times.  These were the non-illuminated,
or sparsely illuminated pages.  I'd guess this was sort of the
scriptorium's equivalent of 'grunt work' done by apprentice monks.
(.....not sure 'apprentice' is correct, but I'll go with it)

The "armor of commentary" refers to a specific writing style.  Not only
was it a writing style, it was a way of thinking.  Rigid philosophy or
the unquestioned truths were embedded in the page like an island.
Surrounding it was any commentary.  The medieval mind required absolute
authority and the writing style fit that mind set.  "Authority" could be
some 'great' historical figure, or of course, God, the Church or even
the scriptures as they existed before King James, such as in Bede's
bible.  (fyi, Bede's bible was the definitive biblical compilation prior
to King James).

Additionally, this one falls into the category of 'how do we teach, or
make our offices interesting'.

And of course, there are the bibliophiles who drool over anything
'books'.  ...know anyone like that?

Take a listen,

Regards,

Dsd