[Ravensfort] The Crossbow

David Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Mon May 16 13:14:42 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi625.htm

A couple of years back, for Gulf Wars, a big push was made throughout
the Kingdom to deliver a substantial contingent of archers and siege
weapons.  That particular year I was also Southern Regional Warlord,
with privileges as a field commander.  In other words, I was to hang
back out of harms way and stay alive. To my shame, I got shot in the
little toe by a ballista bolt. Rules specify touch-kill, so I never
swung a sword that battle....

We (Ravensfort) produced a couple of siege 'crossbows' that year.  I'm
not exactly straight on who all helped out, but Don Zorcon and HE Brion
were the two ....er, spearheads, for the construction, which took a
couple of months and turned out to be an interesting 'hands on history
project' for all involved. I recall they were based on a Japanese
ballista plan that Brion came up with.  He and Zorcon reworked the
period plans to an acceptable SCA siege weapon plan and folks from the
Barony built them in Zorcon's barn. The craftsmanship was awesome, and
in comparison, they made for two of the most impressive set of ballistae
at Gulf War.  It was also a hoot for our Baronial contingent on the
field.

Not sure where those weapons are these days, but it might be worth
dusting those guys off and prepping them for GW, next year....

At any rate, maybe we'll spark some interest with today's episode.
Crossbows....

Take a listen,

Dsd

Ref:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista  (the color pic is a close