[Ravensfort] Event Report: Loch Sollier Baronial

Corbisier, Barbara L barb at tamu.edu
Fri May 27 11:07:13 PDT 2005

Loch Sollier's Baronial Championship was on a bright sunny, warmish day.  I should have realized just
how warm when, excited to show off my new, shiny, turn-of-the-15th-century Venetian style dress
with all the hand stitching, I realized before I even got in the car that it would be too warm to wear
the overdress.  Sighing heavily, I took it off and plopped it in the back seat.  Lord Gregor had kindly
packed everything else we would need, and we were off after a quick stop for some breakfast.  I had
another clue about just how warm it would be when, sitting in the car while Gregor ran in to buy
some food, I realized that it would be too warm to wear my nifty sleeves with all the puffs.  Sighing
heavily, I took them off as well and tossed them in the back seat with the overdress.

Upon arriving on site, a wave of heat greeted us as we made our way to Gate.  Site tokens were
hand-painted bookmarks, always useful to Scadians. We quickly found HE Lorraine and Lady Isobail,
who had already set up the pavillion. I was also pleased to finally meet our imports from An Tir,
Caitlin, Robyn, and another good gentle whose name I cannot remember right now for the life of me.
I apologize most humbly, m'lord, and will try to make it up to you!  Robyn and I had a good long
conversation about horses, barding, and the financial status of Arabian horse owners, while
munching on delicious plum and cheese turnovers Lorraine had made.

HE Lorraine, known for her inability to stay in one place for any length of time, had figured out that if
she strung beads, she would stay put longer. She made many strands of lovely lampwork beads while
watching the fighting. HE Brion and m'lord James the Just fought admirably, but I regret I do not
know exactly how far they got in the championship.

Lady Elizabetta de Medici of Stargate came around with a gentle who works at the Houston Museum
of Natural History, and reminded us about the demo that is happening there next week. Again, I do
not remember his name, but he was very interested in the Society, and apparently had been quite
impressed by Sir Kief and Mistress Lorraine when he met them at a Viking Longship company event.
He sat and talked with us for some time, and I showed him my C&I portfolio.  He seemed quite
excited about the demo, and is looking forward to having the SCA there.

Lorraine, Isobail, and I then went to look at the A&S competition. This was a populace-choice
competition, and there were a number of outstanding entries.  I was particularly fond of a carved
chest made by HE Myrddyn ap Rhys. We cast our votes, and then it was time for the Bardic
competition, which Lord Gregor entered.  While he did not win, he was honored by one of the judges
who gave him a lovely bag with a handmade lace decoration that was filled with a goodly length of
trim because "he almost made her cry" with his poem that he had written in honor of the knighting of
a good friend, Sir Tommaltach MacFiamacoch. This is all the more impressive considering that
Gregor was performing in his underwear due to the heat!

As it was rather late in the day, we went back and helped take down the pavillion.  Court began
shortly after, and the various Baronial champions were named.  They were:

Archery: Leofwine of Sumersaetum
Children’s Champion: Angel Collier
Chivalric: Ysfael Brynon
Equestrian: Christeina Lambrecht
Rapier: Alessandro Andretti
Youth Chivalric: Ester of York

Vivat to all!

A lovely, but very warm day, and a good time was had by all.

In service,
-Lady Catherine Barbary
--
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina.