[Ravensfort] What is Gold Worth?

David R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Thu May 5 14:09:16 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1486.htm

Once again it's a stretch to see the relevance, but I find this interesting, none the less.  Which would you guess?  Is gold worth more today or less today than it was in period?  In the SCA we see gold everywhere.  Not real gold, of course, but 'pretend' gold. The abundance of brass hats, goblets, gold jewelry, & buckles, suggesting that "gold" was everywhere in period.  Once you get though the episode, I think you'll agree, we may have the 'facts' a bit out of context.  Nothing wrong with that, after all, we are selective in what we choose to recreate, and we recreate using resources which are readily available.  So the reality of today is in a sense, just a footnote to that which is period.  Still maybe you'll think about it differently next time you see that gold chain, spurs, brass hat, goblet, or plate.  ...and maybe your persona will feel a little bit richer.

listen up,
regards,
dsd