[Ravensfort] Bjornsborg Event?

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Wed May 4 21:26:38 PDT 2005

> I've heard that a few of our folks went to the Bjornsborg event this last
weekend...

> Would someone please give us a "report" of what it was like...pretty
please with sugar on top...

> Lorraine

While I am not a member of the populace of Ravensfort, I am friend to your
Barony and if you wish, I shall endevor somewhat to answer your plea.

Friday night there was a raucus and rowdy group in the Tavern when I,
Caitlin and Maria arrived on site. As we signed in at Gate, we could hear
the hoots of laughter and shouts of ribald jokes as Bjornsborg's finest made
merry with their friends in the meadhall. As I stood there, I was suddenly
smothered by the arms of my true Love and Lord and all the world got very
quiet for a short time as I stood bathed in his love and lost in his gaze.
When our reverie ended we made our way into the meadhall to greet the
merrymakers who stood in line to hug us all! A better welcome could not be
had. Alas! We could only stay a short time for it was already in the small
hours of the morning and we still had to unload and settle in.

There were 6 staying in Thorgard's tent this night and for the weekend.
Snorri and Groa had already arrived on site and were settled in a corner of
the tent. Caitlin got her cot set up as did Maria, then we all settled in
for some well deserved rest. Mighty were the winds that night, the sides of
that huge red tent of Thorgard's luffing and pounding like the sails they
would have been in real Viking times. But we were snug and warm in our beds
that night, with no fear of danger. Just before dawn came a smattering of
rain, causing Maria to roust from her bed to save some of the more
perishable items from being too well be dewed. So much for the forecast of
no rain! LOL!

Dawn came sooner than we could have wished, but we had a quick breakfast of
hot coffee, Barq's root beer or apple juice depending on our nature, and
sweetbreads, then Thorgard was off to be the boar of the woods for the
quest. Alas! I could wish to tell you of this most marvelous quest but my
legs, never good since that house fell on me, had decided to give me the
most awful times and therefore I declined to be part of the quest. I did see
a vision of Odin One-Eye and a marvelous Oracle but more I can not tell
thee. Those gentles who stopped in our camp, conveniently placed along the
middle way of the quest, for a chat and a sup did report the most
interesting adventures for our amusement. Later on, as the sun drew higher
in the heavens, the clouds rolled away and he beat upon us like a smith
beats out the hot iron at the forge. I, never being one of much valor,
retreated from his fiery gaze and stretched out on our Viking bed for a well
deserved nap......which lasted about 4 hours! Well, dang it! I'm old and
tired! So there! Plus I manage to avoid being branded by him as so many in
my camp and about the site bore on their faces and bodies by the end of that
day.

Anyway, that afternoon, Thorgard returned sweaty and happy and smelling most
strongly of pork to report that he had only found "one puny acorn for all my
efforts at foraging in the woods" and that he had been mightily bothered by
a pair of hounds that bayed at him most annoyingly. I was glad his
ensorcelment had ended, for while I am sure he had been a most handsome and
ferocious boar, I prefer his softer whiskers to boar bristles on my cheeks.
Off he went to wash off the adventures of the day, and then returned to
gather me to the feast at the meadhall.

And the feast! My goodness! The quantity and variety was most remarkable as
is traditional with Bjornsborg feasts. There was a number of different types
of handmade breads, fresh from the oven to be dressed with a delightful
salmon paste, olives both green and black, and garlic pickles with ATTITUDE
that left me gasping as I savored their piquant crunch. Then a refreshing
salat of spring greens with a sweet dressing of oils and herbs. This was
followed by stewed cabbage, which my tentmates viewed with alarm as
quantities of this most noble vegetable made its way down the throat of my
windy love and my most blustery self. We laughed at their fears and their
protests of portending possible smellage and munched even more just to watch
them quake with fear. The sausages stewed with the cabbage were flavorful
and sweet. Then came a sticky sweet rice dish with open fire roasted
chicken, roasted to a crisp skin and a delightful moistness of interior
flesh. Then roast rutabaga and mashed turnips, then a wonderful huge slice
of roast beef herbed with garlic and rosemary! Finally, feast ended with
apple or cherry empanadas covered in hard sauce! Most YUMMY! and my most
favorite part of the whole feast...cabbage not withstanding.

Court followed feast and there was several interesting happenings. The most
fun was the challenge of Fynangoth to fight the Bjornsborg Vikings.
Apparently, the Vikings had made off with one of the Shire's sheep....one
Flossie to be exact....and she had returned with a lamb in tow that bore
some resemblance to one or more of the Bjornsborg Vikings. There were
denials and mutterings that Bjornsborg had increased the profit and value of
the Fynnangoth flock but the challenge was made and taken on. More on that
to come for sure.

There was more at the court but I was in pain from having been upended on
one of the Bjornsborg "stealth teetertotters" (I had sat on the short end of
the bench and it dumped me, with no concern for my rank nor delicate health
to the hard meadhall floor) so Thorgard aided me, cane and all, with his
strong arm for help back to our camp. Someone else will have to come forward
with that part of the tale.

We made a short night of it all and slept the sleep of the
righteous.....albiet a somewhat windy one due to the cabbage....no one died
although there were claims of brain damage from some. But then again, among
Vikings and SCA folk....can you really ascertain this trauma???? Sunday
morning the Longship served their delicious omlets and homeword bound we
were. Thus ends my tale. I hope it had some amusement for you.

With love,
Annes