[Ravensfort] Pierre Abelard

David Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Fri May 20 10:31:33 PDT 2005

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi583.htm

Somewhere in my library is a copy of 'The Letters of Abelard & Heloise'.
I once had to read it for a medieval history class.  Theirs is a story
of romantic love.  Although they were secretly married, Heloise' uncle
kinda didn't take to the arrangement well.  In fact, so much so, that he
had Abelard emasculated....

Yeah, you got that right, a medieval blanket party!  Held down by large
burly men and....   ACK!   ...no more nachos!

Both Abelard and Heloise spent the remainder of their lives in service
to the Church, each in separate cloisters.  They exchanged letters, love
letters, which survive and their story is often pointed to as the
quintessential medieval love affair.

There is also an episode about Heloise.  I'll post it up next week.

Take a listen,

Regards,

dsd