[Ravensfort] Event Report: Pennsic Day 3 (Tuesday)

Corbisier, Barbara L barb at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 9 18:58:08 PDT 2005

I have been assured that the Pennsic Event reports are enjoyable, and so I
shall ignore my fear that they had become tedious and continue.

Tuesday morning I slept.  I had only slept for a few hours for the past
three days, and it caught up with me.  So I will turn over the reporting for
Tuesday morning to Gregor.

****************
Tuesday at Pennsic started early for me because my queen needed me.  Well,
she didn't ask for me specifically, but I figured I'd see if there was
anything I could do to help.  Tuesday was the day of the annual Ansteorran
Rapier Tournament at Pennsic.  Rapier fighters from all over the known world
gathered to compete.  Combatants from The East, the Middle, AEthelmarc,
Caid, Northshield, Atlantia, Meridies, and, of course, Ansteorra gathered on
the main field to meet in combat.  This battle wasn't for a coveted Pennsic
War Point, just for the viewing pleasure of our own Queen Saereid.  As you
can imagine, that was enough to bring out some of the best fighters that our
Society has to offer.  Don Robert MacPharland (he of the Mighty Red Boots)
was the head Marshall and I was immediately put to work heralding the
lists.  It was a relaxed, casual affair, with food and drink for everyone
(and it was much appreciated, I can tell you).

The victor of the tournament was Baron Aedan Aylwyn of Atlantia in a
fantastic final bout.  There were several dozen combatants, and because of
the help of a multitude of assistant marshalls the list progressed quickly
but with more bouts than at least one fighter had seen in the last two years
combined. The highlight of the tourney was, as expected, Her Majesty
herself.

Queen Saereid obviously had a fantastic time.  She laughed and joked with
the fighters and volunteers, she had prizes and kind words for victors and
vanquished alike, and she even listened to several of my puns without
banishing me from the kingdom (a rare occurance indeed).

The whole event was flawless and very exciting.  Everyone from the list
mistresses, marshals, and refreshment stewards was at the top of their game.

Personally, I can't wait until next year.
Vivat Regina!
Vivat Ansteorra!!
**********************

And there you have it.  I regret that I was not there, but I think those
around me would have regretted it more if I was there without sleep.

Upon awakening at a reasonable time, I went shopping with Mistress Elwynne
Rowenna of Wentworth. She was to be made Baroness Bergental for the second
time the next evening in East Kingdom court, so I took advantage of this
brief break in her schedule to catch up with an old friend.  We spent money
on C&I supplies and browsed the wares of the merchants who hadn't been open
when I went shopping before with Pagan.  In our travels, we ran into Her
Grace Isabella of York (nearly literally, as a large vehicle was coming the
other way that forced us over to her side of the road).  She greeted us
warmly and expressed her love and admiration for Ansteorra when I told her I
now resided there.  She had a friend with her from Ansteorra whose name I
unfortunately do not recall.  He was sporting one of Sir Kief's tattoos, so
I made him show us.  But it was only on his shoulder.  Darn.

Her Grace was gracious enough to invite us to her Known-World famous Ladies'
Night Out party on Friday night.  I was very happy to receive the
invitation, as Isabella is well-known for her brewing and procurement of
entertainment for the party.

After a quick dinner, Mistress Pagan and I stopped by the vigil of Anna
Elena of River's Bend.  She was being elevated to the Laurelate the next day
for her C&I.  I hadn't met her before, but I was acquainted with her
husband, Master-at-Arms Turlow, from before we joined the Society.  We
headed back to camp, and Gregor and I stopped by what we thought was going
to be the Eastern Allies party in EK Royal.  It turned out to be the
Northern Army party.  That was fine, because we got to talk to Baroness
Selena from Bergental, who entertained us with a song about the various,
ahem, "attributes" of fighters of the Known World.  A quote from the song
that stands out in my mind: "Ansteorra's not as big as it thinks."

An announcement was made at the party about another vigil that had not been
well publicized, so Gregor and I made our way over to the Stonemarche
encampment to extend our congratulations to Magnus, who was being elevated
for his armor making.  We had never met him, but he was very entertaining
and knowledgeable, as one would hope a soon-to-be-Laurel to be.  Afterwards,
we stopped by the Corn party at Shadow Clans.  Their gate is truly amazing,
with a drawbridge, stone walls, lighted stained glass, etc.  We were
entertained by Clan Tynker, a troupe of very skilled jugglers and fire
eaters.

A fine day ended, we headed back to camp for the evening.  And thus ends Day
Three.

In service,
-Lady Catherine Barbary

--
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina.