[Ravensfort] We'll be Bard for a Fort Night.

kclement@verizon.net kclement at verizon.net
Thu Aug 24 04:31:46 PDT 2006

Hello again, everyone! Gregor here.

It's that time of year again.  Time to find the Defender of the Fort in the
Barony of Raven's Fort.  What are we defending it against, you ask?
Well, I can't speak for the fighters, archers, or artisans of our great
kingdom, but as a bard I want to defend our populace against low spirits,
against boredom, and against forgetting our history and our heroes.

Wow! you're probably saying, how can I get involved in such an incredibly
important endeavor?
I'm glad you asked.

The answer is (pause for dramatic effect)

THE RAVEN'S FORT BARONIAL BARDIC CHAMPIONSHIP!

That's right, as current Ravenskald for the Barony of Raven's Fort, it is my
honor and privilege to help select our next Bardic Champion.  All are welcome
to enter and compete.
As the next Ravenskald for Raven's Fort, you will be the voice of bardic for
the barony and one of our ambassadors for story, poem, and song to Ansteorra
and all parts beyond.
Plus, there's FABULOUS PRIZES!

There will be three rounds for the competition, as follows.

First round will be Bard's Choice.
     All entrants will do the piece that they like best.   It could be
something original or simply the bard's favorite song, story, or poem.  It
should be something the bard is very familiar with.

Second round will be the Research Round.
     All entries will be period and documentable.  While the Ravenskald must be
entertaining, a baronial champion should be able to enter the A&S arena with
the best of them (I didn't say they had to win, just to enter).  Documentation
need not be a thesis.  In fact, an index card should be sufficient, with the
appropriate info on it.

Third and final round will be Skaldic Credentials (Skald Cred).
     All entries will be about us.  That is to say, all pieces will be about
Ansteorra, one of our fine baronies (Raven's Fort, perhaps?), the SCA
(including other kingdoms and baronies), or specific people in our society.
Entries may be factual ("It was raining during Pennsic IV...") or a tribute to
someone or something (perhaps the final battle from Gulf Wars or your favorite
Queen).  The main idea is upholding the Skald's duty to keep the history of
their people alive and flourishing.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Also, everyone is encouraged to come and join us, even as a spectator.  There
are few things more enjoyable then a Bardic Circle.  I'm also still looking for
a couple of more judges as well.

COME, MY FELLOW BARDS, BARDLINGS, AND BARDIC GROUPIES (I'm a bardic groupie,
I'll admit it).
COME TO DEFENDER OF THE FORT AND JOIN IN ANSTEORRAN HISTORY!

Yours in service to spoken word,
Lord Gregor Elfingstone
Ravenskald of Raven's Fort.