[Ravensfort] Reg.Haggas Recapies

AmberRaven gwyneth_de at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 06:58:47 PST 2006

David The OK to use the recapie from the SCA COOKS LIST WAS Given . There is no problem with using it.for the january Quoth.SEE message 3

  LOLITA

This is from a post I sent to a local cooks list quite some time ago.
Getting the ingredients to make a proper haggis is very difficult
lately, soI developed a recipe that works well, and seems to be acceptable even
to native Scots.  I am posting both a traditional recipe, and my version
for use when the ingredients aren't available (i.e.:  when you don't have
your own sheep to butcher).

Enjoy!  I enjoy making haggis and eating it.

Traditional Haggis

1 sheep's lungs (may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1 pound fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
1 cup oatmeal (steel cut, not rolled oats)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup stock
1/2 cup Single Malt Whisky

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove
membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Place the
lungs in a pan of cold water with the windpipe hanging over the edge (to
facilitate the removal of any impurities) and slowly bring to a boil.  Reduce
heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Chop fairly finely.  Turn stomach
inside out for stuffing. Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate
liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently,
until golden.  Chop suet finely.  Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal
expands in cooking. Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into
boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more
water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a
sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting.
Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings.

Have a piper play Scotland the Brave as the platter is carried to the
table.Have a bard ready, sgine dubh in hand, to pay honor to the haggis in
the time honored words of the National Poet of Scotland (Ode to the
Haggis by Robert Burns).  Serve with Tatties and Neeps (potatoes and turnips,
boiled and mashed together), Oat Cakes and Single Malt.  Listen for the
change in your patterns of speech.

Now, it is all very well and good to provide recipes like this, but
it is seldom that one has a chance to lay hands on all the authentic
ingredients.For that reason, I developed a version that seems to be acceptable to
native Scots and cause less aversion in PA Americans (yes, that stands for
pansy a$$).

Mother Mairi's Haggis

1 lb. ground lamb
1 lb. chicken livers
1 lb. hard leaf suet
1-2 large onions
1 cup McCann's Steel Cut Oats (available at Publix)
Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup broth (from cooking livers)
1/2 cup Single Malt

Chop onions and saut? with ground lamb.  Boil livers in just enough
salted water.  Cool and grate.  Chop suet finely.  (The chopping can be done
in a food processor).  Toast the oats until they are light golden brown.
Mix all ingredients, and wrap in a double layer of cheese cloth (or place in a
pudding bag).  Be sure to do this over the pot in which you plan to
cook the haggis so that none of the juices are lost.  Wrap tightly and put in
pop with the fold down.  Add water to cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce
heat and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.  Remove to a plate and open cheese cloth
carefully.  Even more carefully transfer haggis to a large sheet of
plastic wrap.  Fold plastic to completely encase and place on a heated serving
platter.  (Putting it in the plastic facilitates serving and makes
the bards performance work better when he plunges the sgine dubh into the
"steaming, reeking pudding".)  Serve as noted above.

Have fun!  Haggis is not the evil some make it out to be (neither is
fruit cake).  Most people who turn up their noses at organ meats are to
ignorant or prejudiced to try them.  I have no patience with those who would
condemn things they have never tasted.  Just don't offer me chilled monkey
brains or eyeball soup.  Even I have my limits.

Mairi Ceilidh
=====

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas