[Ravensfort] Being period...and all that

David Brown lddevin03 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 07:09:25 PDT 2007

Greetings good populace...

   There has been a lot of talk back and forth on
the list as of late about 'being period' & those
who think that those who want to be are Nazis and
spoil the fun...yada yada yada.
   Yeah we all know the drill. This is how I see
it & remember that this is only from my point of
view.

   I joined the SCA because I thought it looked
like fun, which it is. I admit that at first I
did not try to do everything period, but that
changed. I do not have the cash flow to have
everything look period, but I try and do my best.

   This is a living history group. And as such,
the whole idea behind it is to RE-CREATE the time
period. When doing something, ask yourself, "Did
they have this kind of stuff back then?" "Would
people in those times really be doing this or
that?". RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH !!!!!!!!
   I know that it seems some people are just
fanatics about the 'period' aspect of the SCA,
but I don't blame them. That is why we join the
SCA, we want to re-create the time period. And I
think we should to the best of our ability.
   I guess what it all boils down to is this, in
my opinion. If you want to join the SCA and
party...then go to a bar or somewhere else. The
SCA is not a free-for-all party time. If you want
to kinda throw something on that looks period and
hang out with your friends...that is fine, but do
not get angry if someone who really enjoys the
SCA either, a: complains about it, or b: says
something to you about how it could better be
done.

  I know this is long winded but I am getting
rather tired of all the banter. This is the last
posting from me on this topic. We join the SCA to
do things Medieval & Renaissance, so do it, or at
least make the attempt to have it look period.

YIS
Lord Devin