[Ravensfort] Service to ones Lord and Kiing

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 20:06:11 PDT 2007

Heilsa all...

The concept of "fealty" or a binding, sometimes temporary...other times
permanent, between those of greater and lesser power is a very broad
topic...and could cover many different time periods and cultures.

There is the concept of dedication to one's God, Goddess, or pantheon. Here
the bond is made between a mortal human man or woman and one (or more)
Deities. In exchange for some sort of "favor" from that Deity the human
swears to take on the "cause" of the Deity or Deities named and do so even
to the cost of the human's life.

Examples: Dedication to the Goddess Kali...i.e. Cult of Thugee
Dedication by a warrior to the God Odin for "Battle Luck / ability"...(This
binding usually resulted in the oathed warrior becoming a "walking dead man"
serving Odin until the God "called in the debt".

The idea of "lifetime" dedication to a human King, Queen, or Leader can also
result in the concept of a "walking dead man".

Example: The Samurai would go into any situation that their overlord would
send them into even if it was a "suicide" mission. To carry out one's sworn
obligation to one's Lord was of paramount importance...even to the carrying
out of ritual suicide...at the command of the overlord.
The Celts and the Spartans also had the tendency to follow the Warband
leader or King even unto death..."Return either carrying your shield or on
it...".

The path to European fealty was an echo of the various cultures in "greater
Europe" and the oaths sworn by the soldiers of the Roman Legions. The long
road to Medieval fealty started out simply as a sworn oath between warrior
and Warband leader...to support and protect whatever the Warband leader held
important...usually the Tribal lands or the members and families of the
Warband.

In the time of Charlemagne (the Butcher of the Saxons) the underpinnings of
Medieval fealty were seen in the oaths of the men Charlemange surrounded
himself with. Those that did well and performed ablely, especially in
battle, were rewarded for their endeavors. In turn Charlemange protected
them from their sometimes envious and more powerful neighbors.

This aspect of fealty...the Overlord's placing themselves "in harm's
way"...was of great importance from that point forward to the current day
when the men and women in today's Armed Services swear to protect the lands
of America, America's population, and the Constitution of the United States
of America in return for the President's sworn oath to do the same. He thus
places himself in harm's way between those that would destroy our culture
and the American citizenry...by wielding the Armed Forces of the US as the
President and his advisors see fit against the enemies of America...if he is
found in error he will either be not re-elected, impeached, or cast in
history's light as having been wrong.

Those "punishments" pale in comparison to what would have happened to a
failed King or Warband leader in Medieval times...

As the Middle Ages progressed towards the Renaissance the concept of Fealty
became incredibly complex as the concepts of "overlapping fealty" grew out
of the concept of "limited fealty"...serving an overlord for only a limited
amount of days each year... "Overlapping fealty" occured when a minor  land
holding Noble would swear fealty to the more powerful Duke that controlled
land next to the minor Noble...as well, that minor Noble would have to swear
fealty to the King. The real problem here was when that Duke went to War
with the King for control of the country... Hmmmm...who to fight for?
Backing the wrong horse in that race might just lead to loss of lands,
title, or death.

Please include the factor of the Church's influence and the complexity
deepens... Further...once the Protestants split from the Church of
Rome...... Well, you can see that it would take a scholar to figure out the
equations of layered and overlapping fealty...

There is, of course, much more to this than this extremely short writing
offers...

To the current day...

SCA fealty is simple in the extreme by comparison.

In Ansteorra only the Knights and the Landed Nobility are required to swear
an Oath of Fealty. Kingdom Officers are sworn to an Oath of Service. The
other two Peerages, Pelican and Laurel, may swear an Oath of Fealty if they
so desire...as can the minor Nobles of the Court and the general populace.
There is also a difference between "personal fealty" to the King and Queen
and Fealty to the Crown/Ansteorra. Generally "personal fealty" is reserved
to that King and Queen that you know, respect, and trust.

Because of the Oath of Chivalry and the Oath of Fealty that binds the
Knights to the Crown and Kingdom the Knights are most often used when the
Crown has a particular job that needs to be done. Those jobs can range from
being a War Leader, to Ambassador, to delivering a private message to
another Noble or Peer (usually a stern warning or notice to remove
themselves from a position of prominence before an incident has to be
brought into the public eye). Knights also sit in Judgement on Courts of
Chivalry. Knights also oversee meetings, pollings, and act as eye witnesses
in various proceeding as the Crown wishes. Knights are also often asked to
place themselves, as the Crown's Sworn Vassals, "in harm's way" to take the
brunt of any attacks on any that the Crown deems in need of "protection"
from malicious public attack.

Trusted Knights are expected to hold true and hold fast to their appointed
duties for as long as necessary, needed, or until they are released from
that duty by the Crown that assigned them the task or a subsequent Crown
that feels the task is finished.

As a side note as a Knight trusted by many Crowns I have been required to do
all of the tasks listed above several times over...as well as other tasks
not named. Believe me...it is oft times a daunting and wearisome
business...yet Knights are sworn to do such things whenever called.

Oaths of Fealty can also exist in the SCA between the various Peerages and
their students. The Landed Nobles and those populace members that reside on
the lands held in Fief from the Crown can also bind themselves with Oaths of
Fealty. Either of these Oaths are commonly held to be of lesser strength
than any Fealty sworn to the Crown.

I do hope that these words help explain a bit of the history of Fealty and
it current usage in the modern SCA.

I remain in Oathed Service to Ansteorra and Raven's Fort...

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Sir Kief
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."

=========