[Ravensfort] Folk Life Festival & then some... (long)

Berta Allen bertasdragonfly at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 09:38:45 PDT 2007

Greetings,

  I am sad to hear/read about the Folklife Festival's - Board of director's decision as well...  But ya gotta respect it too... the Civil War renactor's would make us look like we were putting on a play, (a not too good one at that) - know what I mean?  We really would have had to been in 'persona' the entire time (IE: no discussion's of mundanity except very quietly off to the side or after hours; no form of ice chest's, uncovered mundane chairs, tents, etc to name a few).  Our participation at Renfaire would of had nothing on this...

  The Civil War member's, as most know, have to make everything "look, hear, taste, smell the period".  I don't think SCA'ers go near that far in effort, on a consistant basis.

  Times like this, though it is great that we are moving towards eaach other, don't get me wrong, it's more than family, community, party, a get together.  We have to all put forth the effort & make Raven's Fort known in & around Huntsville without making anyone feel (within the barony & out) that the 'gestopho' - authenticity police (whatever you want to call it) is gonna get them.  It doesn't have to be that way ('cause we know it doesn't work).  Now, that being said...

  We can still make a presences felt/known throughout Huntsville on a regular basis by attending as many fighter practices (at either or both parks); attending the SHSU history group's (name of group just escaped me...?) meetings on Weds in garb & promoting the SCA more often.  At fighter practices, have A&S classes, discussion's, reading of poetry or stories... a little something for everyone.

  We as an incipient group thru to being a barony, used to do this on a regular basis, but now it seems as if almost everyone if not most, think it's passe.  "Let someone else do it"; "Let someone else worry about it, I'm just here to have a good time".  That is why Huntsville hasn't ever taken the SCA seriously, I think.  Yes, I admit, I am as much to 'blame' as anyone else, but we really need to stop letting ourselves be 'guided by making someone else worry about it or do it' & move it forward ourselves, each & everyone of us!

  Think & mull over/about this a lot before attempting a response... (like a fine wine).  We have an opportunity to let the barony expand & grow, it just needs tending to.  This was not originally intended to be a pep-talk, in your face, kinda response to Ld. Devin's email regarding the Folk Life Festival, I just went with the flow...

  regards,
  HE Chrystal Ariana MacRuari
  (member of the populace of the Barony of Raven's Fort & damn proud of it!!!)

  "Noli simul flare sorbereque"