[Ravensfort] Remember

Dan Smith Jr alaric at consolidated.net
Fri Nov 9 17:47:49 PST 2007

Here is the reply I posted on Tribe:

Very well said. I miss those days as well.
One addendum: MOVE THE CARS TO THE PARKING LOT

Nowadays, it's normal to see people driving cars to the list field, feast area, and revels. From my previous autocratting experience: there's nothing like decorating the feast area for 2 hours only to watch it turn into a parking lot. I realize that some folks have issues and need a little help getting around. However, I've seen fighters drive up to the list field to dump their armor. I think the ultimate insult has been the times I'm pulling a wagon, loaded to 50 lbs with musical instruments and fire gear, to a revel while 4-5 people drive by me in their trucks going to the same party. Talk about feeling stupid...

Oh, and another thing: NOISE POLLUTION

While autocratting, I was horrified when several people suggested using a generator to light up feast. "We did it that way last year." Sorry. Not me. Hearing generators and air conditioners drives me insane. My job/lifestyle relies on listening intently, so having a mechanical hum or rattle nearby is akin to holding a red flag in front of my face. On a primitive, quiet site like Ravensfort, you can hear a generator from anywhere on site.

I would love to see the "periodness" ramped up. I've had some reservations about spending $400+ on a period tent, only to see a Chevy parked by it or listen to a generator from it all weekend. It only takes each of us, doing a little bit, to make huge changes. Thanks, Jan, for the topic.

YIS,

Alaric Sweinbrothar