[Ravensfort] Sorry

HOFFPAUIR, DAVID R ENV_DRH at shsu.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:21:16 PDT 2007

B&B's 'running' the meeting in Raven's Fort is a fairly new thing.  By
all rights, and as required by Kingdom Law (i.e. The Seneschal's
Handbook), you, as seneschal, should be "down front" conducting the
meeting.  Populace is a business meeting.  It has nothing to do with
rank and ceremony.

Page 7, of The Seneschal's Handbook states it is the Seneschal's
responsibility to "conduct regularly scheduled meetings" and gives an
outline of your typical duties during a populace type meeting.  No
reason why the B&B can't be present ceremonially, share in the meeting
agenda, and have their input,  but the implication, by nature of the
business being conducted, is that YOU, as Seneschal and "legal
representative" of the group, are absolutely and totally 'in charge' of
the business conducted, including any rules of order during the meeting.
It also clearly states that you are to "coordinate with the B&B."
However, it does not concede responsibility of the meeting to their
authority in any form.

In my opinion,  it is appropriate for the B&B to step back at that time
to allow the populace a more Democratic voice.  The risk as B&B is
having a populace agree because you are a figurehead and not because
they necessarily agree.  In other words, no one wants to be perceived as
an 'outsider' to the B&B's wishes, so individuals are more likely to
just "go along"  (Yeah, right! In Raven's Fort!? HAHA!  LMAO! I am SO
FUNNY!).    So, stepping back for the B&B during business meetings sort
of keeps things on a healthy, even keel, if you will, and I think that's
the Crown's wisdom and intent.

Regards,

DSD