[Ravensfort] From the Autocrat of Defender of the Fort

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Sat Apr 5 10:53:54 PDT 2008

Greetings from the Autocrat of Defender of the Fort,

First let me thank the Seneschal and the Baron and Baroness for trusting me to spearhead the Barony's yearly highbrow event.  I look forward to working with as many of my Baronial brothers and sisters as possible.

You might note that the Autocrat name listed on the official records will be Lord Volodymyr of the Black Isle.  That is the official name that I was born into the SCA with over two and a half decades ago.  It is the name by which I received awards, such as my Crane.  My second name Marius Atreidae was created (for obvious reasons) when I started working with The Assassins Guild of Ansteorra.  The Assassins game became very popular with everyone from the King to the commoner and my work as a guild liaison became so wide spread that most people now address me as my dark persona.  Defender of the Fort is an event that plays up the chivalrous aspects of the Barony so it seemed appropriate to dust off my original persona and answer to the pet name my very old time friends called me, "Vlad NotVlad".  Don't worry, when called I will still answer to Marius.

That said, things for Defender will also run slightly different than it has in the past.  I have already talked with several individuals about taking on key roles, but have several more slots to fill over the next few weeks.  If you have something specific in mind that you would like to volunteer for please give me a call and we can talk.  Of course, as always, the Baronial Officers are expected to run the competitions that are associated with their offices.  I will be contacting each on a one to one basis. Those offices that are not filled at this time will present a special challenge, but I am sure that we will find good replacements to fulfill the obligations.  This will have to start soon as we have to contact last years winners to retrieve the pass down prizes and get preferences for this year's competition scenarios.

Due to the nature of the feast structure there will be no Feastocrat for this event.  Instead, individuals will prepare the individual dishes on their own and bring them to the site ready to be served.  Only a minimal of cooking will be done on site.  Once the food reaches the site, a serving coordinator and crew will oversee feeding the populace.  After feast a cleanup crew will take over to see that everything is put away clean.  By splitting up the duties I am trying to ensure that no one is worn down by a full day of work.  Even the cooks should be able to sit down with the rest of the populace to eat.  Volunteers that serve and clean will receive feast free.  A serving and clean up coordinator has not been selected yet so if you are interested please contact me.  Once a coordinator is selected you will be able to contact them directly.

We already have pretty much settled on a full menu.  I have not spoken with all of the cooks that I have in mind so I do not want to give the final list publicly until I have.  I will say that Alaric has agreed to prepare his chili from our rained out event.  It will now be called White Stew and will be a side dish rather than the main course.  I have tasted it.  It is quite yummy.

I am open to suggestions for site and feast tokens.  I know that some talk of site tokens went on at a past populace, but I was not Autocrat then so my memory needs to be refreshed.  We need to get started on these ASAP.

Here is a short list of the people that will make Defender run smoothly.  When I have permission to post their phone numbers I will add them.
* Autocrat - Volodymyr of the Black Isle (Marius) - 281-367-3409 cell or 281-419-2167 home
* Head Troll - Alaric Sweinbrothar
* Site Foreman - The Lord of the Manor, Saint David Saint David
* Culinary Consultant - Musashi no Domai "Kitsune"
Many thanks to these individuals for stepping forward immediately to serve their Barony.  When more positions are filled I will post updates.

As always I am open to any suggestions that will make the event interesting and pain free.  There will be on going meetings and projects from now till the event.  If wish to be a part of it please give me a call.

In peaceful service to the Barony,
Vlod NotVlad

"what shall it profit a man,
if he shall gain the whole world,