[Ravensfort] RF Herald's Book

Dominique Epps blueingreen at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 15:48:59 PST 2008

Ok, tenure, not reign.  Got it ;) !
Thanx for the clarification
Kitsune, still learning American English

HerrDetlef at aol.com wrote:     Forgive me for splitting hairs, but this is a minute protocol issue.

 Kings and Queens reign.  The period of time in which they do this is  also called a reign.

 Barons and Baronesses hold--more completely, they hold their lands of the  king, by virtue of their status as vassals of the King and Queen.  The  period of time in which they do this is called a tenure (from the Latin for "to  hold").

 Vassals cannot reign.  Only sovereigns reign.

 To use the verbiage of the Domesday Book, barons hold baronies of the king,  but the king holds shires.  This really has no expression in kingdom laws  or society policies.

 A similar situation obtains in the Episcopal Church.  The priest who  is the primary liturgist of a parish is known as rector.  Missions, which  are congregations that have not yet attained parochial status due to age, size,  or resources, have a rector as well, but that rector is the ordinary bishop of  the diocese.  The priest who is the primary liturgist of a mission, acting  in the bishop's (rector's) place, is known as a vicar.

 I'm glad you found the book, Your Excellency.  It's a part of your  history.