[Ravensfort] shameless groveling for help with moving, por favor

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Mon Jul 21 17:00:34 PDT 2008

Hi....

A hint about the TxDOT (Texas Dept of Transportation) Hot spots at the
rest areas.

Look for the wi-fi antenna. Most likely a single fiberglass "Stick" or
pole near one of the buildings. Get close to it.

The bandwidth going to our rest areas is a fractional T-1 at best and
gives 128 to 256 K bandwidth that is shared by all the users at that
rest stop.

Also, there have been issues lately with sign on and access, but our IT
guys are working it out with the contractor.

If you really need bandwidth, find you a Mom-Pop motel of a Days Inn, La
Quinta or something like that and park up close to the building and I
bet you can sign onto their wi-fi system (did this during Hurricane Dean
to send back a program to program a radio to my Bryan District radio
tech from Coleman, Texas).

My office does not maintain them, but I saw the design before they went in.

In Service, HE Niklas Vasilevich

Catie Clark wrote:
> Ok, it's looking like Thursday is the better day for folks - that's good
> since it means I can get some sleep and leave in the morning instead of
> leaving this afternoon.  Though we might finally be finished packing
> soon enough that I may want to pull out early - but it will be nice to
> not have to rush.  We'll be off line starting this evening so don't
> assume we'll be getting email while on the road, until you get back to
> Texas where most of the rest stops and many of the highway picnic areas
> have free wifi (though I've noticed that sometimes it's not always easy
> to make a connection depending on your wireless card/computer make)
>

> see y'all in a few days
> ttfn
> Therasia (and Sean)
>
> Dan Smith Jr wrote:
>> Thursday would be the only of these 2 days I could do.  I get off at 7.
>> Alaric

Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW             H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
niklas at pbgilbert.net      CB,CSM,KGA,OTR,ORH,Crane,AoA
512-733-3035 Cellular             Kingdom of Ansteorra

            Society for Creative Anachronism

     Texas Dept. Of Transportation, Radio Operations
      Austin, Texas                  512-506-5141
                pgilber at dot.state.tx.us

                "The Eagle has landed"
  "Sable, a double-headed eagle, a bordure engrailed or"