[Ravensfort] The weather wimp speaks

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. cat at rocks4brains.com
Sat Jun 21 11:35:17 PDT 2008

Ok, everyone is telling me that the temperatures
aren't really bad YET - just wait til August!

So I sit here feeling slightly hot as my air
conditioner tries to keep the temperature under
80 (it's old, needs to be served or replaced),
procrastinating doing more unpacking things and
feeling intimidated by the thought of buying a
lawnmower so I can mow the lawn in this
not-really-bad-yet heat...

And to amuse myself (and escape the guilty feeling
of not driving out to help at the Ravensfort workday
at our event site), I have been looking at climate
records. So this is how this month compares (so far)
to previous years (based on records collected in
Conroe):

Hotter than June 2007
A bit hotter than June 2006
As hot as June 2005
Hotter than June 2004

About 5 to 10 degrees less hot than the heat wave of 1980

Not that anyone is going to give me any sympathy
for being a weather wimp, but just to give you
an idea of what I've been living with before
moving to the steam bath of SE Texas, this month
in Idaho Falls has been seeing daytime highs in
the 60s and 70s. It got into the 80s for the first
time this last week.

And it's been snowing at altitude (above 7000 ft)
It's snowing right now in Yellowstone

It's gotta be karma!
I'm paying for all those times when I laughed
at people wearing jackets back in January

I think I need an igloo...

ttfn
Wilting (formerly Therasia)