[Ravensfort] Swein site work

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:38:44 PDT 2008

All this naming business reminds of me several years ago.  When I was living
in Spring, I thought of naming my place Raven's Gate, considering its
situation between Raven's Fort and the Stargate.  Then the area went and
acquired the name Gate's Edge.

I'm tired.  I just got through watching The Exorcist, and I have yet to go
out with my prayer book and then print notes for tomorrow's classes.  When
I'm more coherent, I may have better ideas.
P&B,
DT+LF
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM, byzytym <byzytym at att.net> wrote:

>  That didn't really sound the way I meant it.
> I have nothing at all against any "Swein".
> In fact some of my favorite people in the world are Swein.
>
> I just think that a better name could be given to the new site than a
> household name.  I do not believe that so many volunteers would have been
> willing to work so hard had our present site been called the Kiersted Site
> instead of The Stones of Raven's Fort.  It just does not have the same ring
> to it.  Some people are turned off by clandestine ventures that seem to
> benefit a single household.  It does not need to have any roots in reality.
> It is all about perception.  Almost any other name would be better.
> The Cut n Shoot site
> The Southern site
> The Gundy site ( an unusual enough name that it is intriguing )
> Hey, I have an idea.  Let's move the Stones south and call it The New
> Stones site.
> Any other suggestions ??
> What is the last name of the guys that own the land ??
>
> The second reason that I don't like the name is because the first thing
> that most people thing of when they hear Swein site is a muddy wallow full
> of pig poop.  Bla !  Not a good way to be thought of.
>
> Again, I love the "Swein" and everything they stand for.  Their
> contributions are much needed in the SCA of current days.  Long may they
> live.
>
> Anyway, the advice of someone that has nothing to do with the naming of the
> new site is to stay clear of the household names.
>

>  Pax,
> MARIVS
>
> "what shall it profit a man,
> if he shall gain the whole world,
> and lose his own soul ?"
>
> P. S.  I was joking about moving the Stones.  I hope we never lose our
> Philps site.

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!

Beowulf, 1-11