[Ravensfort] showers / borderlands security

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Tue Oct 14 21:56:09 PDT 2008

No, not a have to do tomorrow hurry.  April is the next event, but we do not
want to be working on showers in March either.  Improving the old design is
obviously a desirable thing.  Research is what these emails are all about.
We've had some very good ideas.  There is certainly time to consider any and
all options.

We are seriously looking at holding some events at another primitive site
near Conroe.  It already has electric and water. ( no barrels needed )  That
means that there is a very strong possibility that we will want to be able
to transport the showers easily.  "Easily" being the functional word in that
last sentence.

The weight of the plywood made it impossible for a medium size crew to get
the showers on a trailer with a ramp.  To me, that gives plywood a big
minus.

Removable panels are a good idea as long as it takes almost no time to
remove and install them.  We have to remember that the SCA is a volunteer
organization and that many of us steal time from our mundane task to do
things like transporting showers.  When it is necessary for four, five or
six people to drive from different cities just to move the showers, time
becomes even more precious.  There is little time for bolting and unbolting
before the stolen time is used up.  If side panels are to be removed for
transport it has to be simple and quick.

I am thrilled that so much interest has been generated toward making sure we
have a useable system.  I look forward to seeing drawn designs.  The Barony
is growing and it is wonderful that members are working together in this
reasonable manner.  No doubt, there will be more questions to be answered
over the next few meetings.  I am sure that we have not heard from everyone
on the issue yet.

Peace,
Vlod NotVlad

"Trust in Allah, but tie your camel."