[Ravensfort] First time event question

Sher M runa.herd at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 18 10:19:49 PDT 2009

I resemble that!

Lady Runa
Sher Montgomery & The Thundering Herd
http://runa-herd.livejournal.com
www.bedlambazaar.com
http://thethunderingherd.net
http://bedlambazaar.blogspot.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: HerrDetlef
  To: Michelle Lopez
  Cc: Ravensfort
  Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:48 AM
  Subject: Re: [Ravensfort] First time event question

  Others will have suggestions as well, but I offer these:

  1. Sleeping arrangements, whether a hotel reservation, camping gear, or crash spash arrangements
  2. Feast gear if you plan on eating feast.....simple is best. A plate, a bowl, a set of flatware, and napkins. It wouldn't hurt to bring some candles (hurricane lamps are rather modern, but they stay lit in the wind) and a tablecloth. Even if you don't smoke, a cigarette lighter is never a bad idea to have on hand.
  3. A chair. Camping chairs work well, even though they're not technically medieval. When you get serious about playing SCA, you'll have time to invest in furniture that's more in keeping with the spirit of the game.
  4. At least two outfits of garb if you have them.
  5. At least two outfits of mundanes (non-garb), in case you need to run into town or something.
  6. An ice chest for drinks....keeping yourself hydrated is a must. Take a mug with you so that you don't have to wander around the site drinking out of a plastic bottle. If you have a tablecloth you can drape over the ice chest, you can keep it close by even in the main event area.
  7. A portable first-aid box might be handy, but there will be chirurgeons (licensed to administer at least multi-media first aid) on site, so this is not ABSOLUTELY necessary
  8. Cash, your SCA membership card if you have one, and a notebook and pen to jot down notes with. Oh yes, and a map to the site with the event announcement and all that.
  9. SUNSCREEN! And a hat with a brim, if you've got one that looks at least quasi-medieval. Sunburn at an SCA event is NOT a pleasant experience. Stay out of the sun as much as you can.
  10. Devin and Runa will be there. Find them. They've been playing for a while (and I won't make any wise cracks about how long Devin's been playing--whoops!)

  Remember to keep mundane (non-medieval) looking things away from the main event area. It takes diligence whether you've been playing for two hours or twenty years.

  I keep thinking of things...and I know I'm forgetting things. Others will be adding to this list.

  HAVE A GREAT TIME!

  Detlef