[Ravensfort] tree parts

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Aug 28 11:47:18 PDT 2009

Reading this thread with interest.

I have a chainsaw mill.  See pics of us using it here.
http://www.companystsebastian.net/timber/

With this you don't haul the logs off.  You mill it in place.  It's hard
but rewarding work.

Cut the logs into manageable sections.  8 ft is a good choice.

If they are going to sit long at all get em up off the ground to avoid
wet and insects.  rolling them up on some created 4x4's is enough.

Paint the ends of the logs.  You do this so they wont dry too quickly
and split.  The best thing to paint the end of the logs with (other than
a commercial sealer intended for this job) is some of the aluminum roof
sealant that you can buy at your local home improvement store.

Mill em as soon as ya can and then stack them in a barn to dry.  They
tell ya to figure on one year for each inch of thickness to air dry.

-EA