[Ravensfort] names and a great quote

Dan Smith Jr gogetdan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:29:46 PST 2009

I've never heard of Adrian Rogers.  Here are a few quotes from some guys we've ALL heard of :

George Washington:

"It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it.

Let your heart feel for the afflictions and distress of everyone, and let your hand give in proportion to your purse."

John Adams:

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Thomas Jefferson:

" I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. "

Here is what Jefferson would have thought of Adrian Rogers:

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

And the last one, the most important in my opinion, again by Jefferson:

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

Alaric

P.S.-  Cherry-picking quotations can be as fun as it is misleading.  As much as I love political discussions, I'm not sure this is the place.