[Ravensfort] Meetings and .. stuff

mike dowdy mdowdy999 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:40:52 PST 2009

Folks,  Looong ago I met the folks in the SCA in Seawinds. They were great, a very small group but very fun folks. Anyway, at some point I decided to go to SHSU, that was 1988 or 89. I was wandering through the LSC one night and ..and saw this fella in a t-tunic. His name was Grim, tall fella, a student. He said, he was going to the  populace meeting upstairs, .. I went for the meeting and met lots of great folk. My story is not the only one. We have had a some folks that simply saw us and asked a question before the meeting or after. Matter of fact , Keif said that any fighters who did not have armor he wood hook us up for cost. I jumped on it.. and wala.. I am still here. A public place, the LSC for example found me. To me it does not matter the venue, we could practice under a tent at the wal-mart parking lot hehe, so long as folks saw us. I dont think folks are going to pop there heads into a meeting, but, however they will catch you in the hall or parking lot. If I was a salesman I would put myself in a place that would help sell my product, if I was a recruter I would put myself in a place that would net me the most possible folks. I soppose I am trying to be a little of both. I want to see lots and lots of new fighters. I want to see us get them.  I soppose what I am trying to say that you can ave a meeting or a practice in a place where you no chance of talking to new folks.. or you can have in a place that there is the very real possibility of meeting new folks. Is the some gold mine for new folks , nope.. but it puts us in a position to get them. If the populace meeting was not in a public place then I would never have known about ravensfort.  Michael, goober.. stickjock, .. centurian. > From: byzytym at att.net> To: sdwsdw at suddenlink.net; ravensfort at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:39:03 -0600> Subject: Re: [Ravensfort] Meetings and .. stuff> > Parking is an issue at the university. I am not on campus much so I don't > have the answers on that.> > We use to meet in a large room upstairs in the LSC which was ok. As > suggested, out of the whole time we met there only once or twice did people > ever stuck their head in to see what was going on. Later we met in a large > upstairs lobby with duck displays. That was more open and people wondered > by all the time. That was a good spot for us. Comfy chairs too.> > If things don't work like that at the college anymore... they don't work > like that anymore and we will stick with what we've got ( which is pretty > good ) or find something else if we want to be more public. The only reason > I am suggesting the college again now is because when we lost it there was > great lamenting and hand wringing. People rent their garments and covered > themselves with dirt. OK, maybe they didn't go that far, but there was > great disappointment. If we are not interested, we are not interested. > Time marches on. It's all good.> > As for relocating this month, we couldn't met on the 1st and the normal > place is not available on the 8th so ya gotta do what ya gotta do. The > reason I suggested we keep the meeting north is for the college students we > will lose if it is not in Huntsville. As Lady Gwyneth recommended, try to > meet in the same area "consistently". If there is no place north... no big > deal. Has a decision been made as to where yet ?> > Peace,> Vlod NotVlad> > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Shane Wallace" <sdwsdw at suddenlink.net>> To: "ravensfort" <ravensfort at lists.ansteorra.org>> Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 4:01 PM> Subject: Re: [Ravensfort] Meetings and .. stuff> > > > Greetings to all,> >> > (Just my two cents and some suggestions.)> >> > I agree with Lady Elke and m'lord Drew, as a past hospitaler of RF and a > > past regional hospitaler of our great kingdom we should be in the public > > eye. Its a very good recruiting technique. But I would NOT recommend using > > the LSC for future populace meetings. Here are some reasons why: First, > > there are parking issues and regulations our members and Visitors might > > not be familiar with. Second, SHSU is notorious for the hills and stairs > > that might be difficult for our older members and our handicap members to > > negotiate (yes, I do know the university has to be in ADA compliance). > > Finally, as Lady Elke and m'lord Drew pointed out, students are not just > > going to walk into an on going meeting, if they do they are usually > > looking for something else.> >> > I do think the Raven's Guild should use the LSC for their meetings. It > > gives them a presence at the university. They have a right to advertize > > their meetings on all approved bulletin boards through out the university, > > which in turn will build their numbers. Furthermore, I think Barony > > members should support the guild by maybe attending their meetings or even > > hosting a refreshment buffet for the students and their guest. How about a > > DEMO on campus with everyone in Garb/costume, There could be fighting > > light and heavy and huge A&S displays with lots of splash and flash > > (decorations). Now that would get people's attention ! ! !> >> > I like to use the Cake Analogy when talking about the barony and the > > student group. The barony is the cake, the strong foundation of the > > desert. The Raven's Guild is Icing on top of the cake. Both are very > > important and combine they are absolutely out of this world and > > unstoppable. I feel that the populace meeting should be out in the > > community of the barony such as the fire station or even a restaurant with > > a meeting room. Building local members in the areas of Conroe, Huntsville, > > and surrounding areas will keep group strong for years to come. Supporting > > the student group is very important too. As they grow in their studies > > working toward their graduation they grow in the SCA as well. Upon their > > completion of their studies they will move on and join other SCA groups > > through out the known world thus helping us all.> >> > (ok, that's just my two cents... Everyone have a wonderful day and a very > > happy new year. Blessing to all.)> >> > In Service,> > Lord Malcolm> >> > P.S. I think all the officers are doing such a wonderful job ! ! !> >> >> > _______________________________________________> > Ravensfort mailing list> > Ravensfort at lists.ansteorra.org> > http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ravensfort-ansteorra.org > > _______________________________________________> Ravensfort mailing list> Ravensfort at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ravensfort-ansteorra.org

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your Hotmail® account now.

 {0}

Junk
Not junk
Print