[Ravensfort] Defender of the Fort 2009 & Spring Event

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Thu Jan 22 05:28:59 PST 2009

Actually the announcement was posted on the Anstorra list as well.  Anyone
in the Known World that logs on and reads my post will get the picture.
That includes the gentles in Elfsea.  Just my way of letting people know
what is going on in Raven's Fort.  I was hoping that I didn't go overboard
by giving the whole kingdom our sob story.  I admit that it was a shameless
ploy to get sympathy friends to attend our spring event.

As far as Elfsea goes, it doesn't matter where they are located, they had a
rough time too so any help we can give them is a good thing.  Ya gotta look
at it through the "three fold" law.  What every you do for or to others will
come back to you three fold... good or bad.  I think it should always be
good, even if it is not the best thing for one's self at the time.  If Star
Trek taught us anything it is that "the good of the many out weighs the good
of the few".

You should not think that the Kingdom level does not know what is going on
in Raven's Fort.  I can assure that they are well aware of our strengths and
weaknesses.  We get comments on our goings on from the Regional and Kingdom
level from time to time both privately and publicly.  Everybody knows that
we are trying.

The  reason that we are accommodating the Archers and especially the
Equestrians is because we want to draw them here.  If putting in a little
extra work means that they are more likely to show up it is well worth the
effort.  It isn't a do this for us and we'll come.  It is a we want you here
so we'll do what it takes to make it look sweet to you thing.  Baron Brian
has always ( even before he got his brass hat ) like the horses & their
riders and especially the archery.  These activities are being included in
the spring event at his request.  I am more than happy to facilitate.

One thing that anyone that wants to get something done in the SCA must
remember is that we are a VOLUNTEER organization.  The populace are like
cats.  The only reason that they do anything or come around at all is
because they want to.  The people that want to chip in and help will do so.
The people that only what to show up and party, well, that is their right
too.  You can't spoil the enjoyment for yourself because you don't think
someone else is doing enough.  It isn't your right.  You can only look
around and see who is making an effort and remember that when the B & B ask
for award recommendations.  Everything else you have to let go.  Just enjoy
what you are doing or find something else to do.  Usually there is some
around that wants to do the very thing you don't.  Life is funny like that.

You are right, we have earned some good will.  Locally, we all have Baron
Brian to thank for keeping our presence in the eye of the Kingdom.  He
travels a lot and encourages the rest of us as well.  We made a good showing
at BAM.  We should do it more often.  If I made it sound like we are in
such dire straights that we need to call in favors, I over stated.
Financially the Barony is still in pretty good shape.  We have plenty enough
to put on this event with a bit left over.  Our decision to postpone
Defender to September had as much to do with having enough time to clean the
site and put on a top notch show as it did with not being in competition
with Elfsea.  That is to say, it was easy for us to allow Elfsea to do their
thing as it will not hurt us.  I like it when things are good for everyone.

As for examining my head or patting it... as anyone that knows we well
will tell you, it takes the advice of my friends to keep me from putting my
foot in my mouth too deep.  I am nothing without them.  Just a madman
howling at the wind.  Thank you Charles.  Thank you Alaric.  Thank you
Kitsune.  Thank you Saint David.  And on and on... When you are looking for
heroes in this Barony, you need to look at the people that are not making a
lot of noise.  See who is making the scrolls, training the fighters,
cooking, sewing, doing the web page, traveling, cutting the wind fall.  It
is certainly not the big mouths like me all the time.

The Barony is in great shape right now.  Our members are all getting along.
We are agreeing on almost everything.  When we focus on a project it moves
forward with good will.  We have two events that we are once again excited
about.  Whether we ask them for help or not our friends from around the
Kingdom always show up an lend a hand.   All in all, it is a good time to be
alive in Raven's Fort.  Rich or poor we are a family.

In service... It's all good,
V NV