[Ravensfort] Bysantine garb

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:42:37 PDT 2009

The best that I can think of is to look at art history books, and to check
out Byzantine mosaics and icons. There will be your best primary source for
styles and colors. Hansen's History of Art is a huge resource, and it will
also link you to other sources in its bibliography.

HE the Baroness of the Stargate has made several Byzantine costumes, and I
would imagine her to be an excellent source as well.

The most prominent illustration of a Byzantine woman's dress that comes to
my mind is the mosaic of the Empress Theodora that is located in the Church
of San Vitale in Ravenna. Biographies of women like Theodora might come with
plates of quasi-contemporary artwork.

Good luck on your search!
DT+LF

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Keely Disman <kdisman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if anyone might have some good websites, books, etc. they
> could suggest for historically accurate pictures and information concerning
> Byzantine garb and accessories, especially the Bysantine collar.  I believe
> the collar is also referred to as Superhumeral.  Could be wrong, though.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Joan Hebert
> mka Keely Disman

He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
--Micah 6:8