[Ravensfort] Cinco de Mayo

byzytym byzytym at att.net
Thu May 7 12:13:19 PDT 2009

Ouch !

Welcome home.
Would you like some chickens ?

V NV
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hoffpauir, David
  To: Raven's Fort Barony of
  Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:52 AM
  Subject: Re: [Ravensfort] Cinco de Mayo

  The Lord of the Manor would have me announce:

  According to the Irish, Cinco de Mayo originated as a memorial to a tragic loss.

  County Mayo lies on the western coast of Ireland and is the namesake of a emulsified condiment made up mostly of vegetable oil and egg white.  It is one of the area's most coveted exports.  Just to the South at Cobh, also known as Queenstown, Ireland, was the last departure point of the famous Titanic, on April 12, 1912.  According to Irish legend, a large shipment of this particular condiment was being sent in the holds of the great Titanic to be delivered to Mexico.  The Titanic sunk on April 14, 1912 with a tragic loss of life and all of the precious Mexican cargo.  Word of its loss reached Mexico on the 5th of May and there was much remorse, not only for the loss of human life, but also mourning for the loss of their long anticipated cargo, know, of course, as "Mayo-naise."

  The date the Mexican's now mark annually as the "sinking of the Mayo."  Or, in Spanish, "Cinco de Mayo."

  Humble scribe to the LoTM,

  DSD