[Ravensfort] question for the artists

Jacinth de Warwick jaycinth2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 13:35:19 PDT 2009

Not sure where to find actual lampblack for sale locally, but you might be able to make a reasonable substitute with vine charcoal from the artstore by grinding it in a mortar.  It tends to be rather soft and might work for you until you find something better suited.  As a fishkeeper, I can also suggest activated charcoal if you grind it up until is it extremely fine... however actually making lampblack seems easier due to the work involved.

I've read that charcoal can also be used as a colorant:
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~zebee/tablet.htm
http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/scribepg/tablets.html

If you happen to peruse the artstore, you might also ask for carbon black, as that is the modern name for it, if you want something more like lampblack.

I also found this interesting from a technical standpoint:
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/repairs/painting/Paint-Making-Color-Grinding/Carbon-Black-In-Form-Of-Charcoal.html

Happy hunting!

Regards,
-Jacinth-